pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:29 pm 
I have been snooping and followed the thread from CRX resource. It seems like I have at least found the guys who can tell me if my idea is doable or if it's stupid and not worth the $ to do it.

I had the idea of mounting a LCD in the dash where the ash tray and lighter and stereo currently are. My thoughts of what to do with it are:

display real time engine status from the ECU
GPS mapping
backup camera display.

Just brainstorming things I could do to customize the car.

Have any of you mounted a display in the car permanently and developed a graphic display for ECU outputs? Is this possible, or is it too much work to be worth it?

By the way I am way unsophisticated when it comes to messing around with this stuff. I can barely follow the threads that I have been reading, although I can get the main jest of it all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:41 pm 
OK, I have done some research and found out that a company named Vetronix makes a device or system called "Carport" for the AutoPC.

http://www.vetronix.com/telematics/carport/

It sounds like it does everything that I can think that I was talking about. The big problem is that it is only compatible with ODB II ECU's. My Rex is an 89.

So my question is this. Can I swap my ECU out for an ODB II one from a 96 or newer car?

Apologies if this is babble as I don't really know anything about what I am asking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:59 pm 
Senior Developer

easy then hard.

You cannot easily convert to use a OBDII ECU - way too many extra sensors need to be added, doubtful you can do it without screwing something up.

As for LCD, you need a way of reading the ECU parameters (datalogging) which is one of the current projects.

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:49 pm 
i figured it would be something difficult. Thats OK. I found out how much that system costs today.

Damn thing costs more than I paid for my car!!

Guess I will find another way to customize my car.

Thanks for letting me know though, I will keep checking back on this board to see if you guys come up with a way to display.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:42 am 
I'm pretty sure that you can get an OBDII conversion harness from http://www.locashracing.com , but I don't know if that's all that you will need. I've currently got this idea in my head to run a 92 LS Teg Hondata Stage 4 in my 88 lude, but like Blundar says, there are all sorts of extra sensors and I bet if any weren't hooked up I'd get a check engine light. Well, maybe with the Hondata I'd be able to ignore those and not go into limp mode, still researching...

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:04 pm 
Senior Developer

In all honesty, I'd use a PR3 so you don't have to convert to OBD1 but that's the lazy way out.
OBD0 to OBD1 is not a hard conversion, just make sure you have a OBD1 distributor!!! Other than that its pretty much plug + play, splice connectors.

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:11 pm 
Actually, that was my original plan all along. However, a friend of mine, the only one who ever got his VTEC conversion working for the 88 lude, told me that it wouldn't work because every sensor between the lude and civic/teg is the same except for the distributor sensor. He was able to get a PR3 to run a hybrid with a B16A1 head and distributor, but he says the ECU will not be able to run my motor because that one sensor is different. I'm still wondering if there is a way around this one.

[%sig%]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]