pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:17 pm 

I've been playing with VB and MS Visual C++, would like to get the RTP v1.0 board to work correctly. Trying to find where to add in error handling and edit serial comm in Crome. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've looked at the Crome API script and I didn't see it in there anywhere, maybe I over looked it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:31 pm 
your looking in the wrong spot. you need to modify the assembly code in the datalogging plugin. then with the updated datalogging code you need to get john to update crome to understand the new error checking utility.

dont bother with VB or C++, you need to learn 66k ASM....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:10 pm 

Ok, I downloaded the ASM66 from the forum and looks like it is a DOS based program and I'm using windows XP. So I'm going to have to download that windows based program from the ASM66 development forum? The ASM works just like C++ right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:56 pm 
civic_r87111 wrote:
The ASM works just like C++ right?

You're joking right? ASM is a few levels below C++. You better get a good book and start reading. It's the basic building blocks, and will help your logic and coding on all levels, but its going to throw you for a loop at first when you start learning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:16 pm 

No, I'm not kinding, when it comes to coding I'm a supernoob. I just jumped right into VB and C++, playing with it, reading about it and watching tutorials. I was just going by what I was told in the forum, to learn C++ and serial comm. Then maybe I can get some help along the way. At this point it is alittle frustrating cause my understanding of it is so lacking yet at the same time it drives me harder to learn it. However I really could use some help on understanding it. What would be your best recommendatins on the subject? What would be some good books to check out? Something that has the best subject matter not just a bunch of BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:31 pm 
i don't really have any good sources for ASM knowledge. I learned it in school, its very simple and basic (their are only a handful of commands), but its very different than what your used to in C++ (and nothing like VB, other than basic logic). ASM gets hard to follow as the program gets bigger and more complex.

Someone else chime in here with some places to learn assembly. Once you get the hang of it you can sit down and read anything (as long as you've got a lot of scratch paper to take notes and keep current memory and register values).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:46 am 
Senior Developer

8052.com's tutorials for 8051 are top notch. You'll learn a lot there. 66K is a lot like 16 bit 8051 with some weird machine states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:18 am 

Thank you both luti and blundar, I will definantly check out that site. One last question tho, I was thinking about the issue last night and being that I am trying to use the TTL to a USBMOD3 to Computer, could a lot of the problems be in the driver it self? I've been attacking this issue thinking that I need to make my own driver. Is this the way that I need to be approaching it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:50 pm 
Senior Developer

FTDI's drivers are generally fairly decent, BUT there are some inherent limitations due to the USB hardware. I would do some reading up on the limitations of the drivers before chasing that one too much - the FTDI products have a proven track record for this kind of deal (Ostrich). If I were you, I wouldn't reinvent the wheel. Open-source drivers for the FTDI products are available for many operating systems anyways (Linux, BSD, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:03 pm 
ive never had problems interfacing FTDI USB/TTL or USB/Serial converters using the drivers available on FTDI's website with Mac OS X. What kind of limitations are you guys talking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:05 pm 

OK, cool, so I had what I needed to do all worng. I was thinking I needed to make or edit the existing driver with an error check routine inside if it. So when I get this 66K language figured out. Where is it that I need to be placing this error check routine? Inside of the Crome RTP handler or on my rom somewhere? I know the Ostrich kicks ass, my friend has it and I really just want to do this for the challenge and hopes of keeping it all small and inside the ECU. Luti, I don't have an error or problems with datalogging using the UBS. I made that RTP v1.0 board and went from it to my USB also. I'm "getting" my bin with it but like many others I can't update or put bins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:10 am 
Senior Developer

viewtopic.php?t=5625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult

the FAQ will answer most of your questions. Read the whole thing. Twice. You'll ask much better questions afterwards.

Note: you can't do this project alone because Crome is not open source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:16 pm 

Cool, I really appreciate the help man, thank you Blundar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:04 pm 
Senior Developer

After reading the FAQ twice, I expect to have some good questions out of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:33 am 

OK, so I'm going to get the assembly figured out and research the serial comm a little more. Then I need to fix the serial interrupt handler in the rom and I think in that prosses I will figure out how to access the serial comm in the rom.