pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:58 am 

ok ill give you guys step by step on what i did to get my datalogging to work...

setup/hardware im using...

USDM P30 ecu (Chipped of course w/ zif) J12 REMOVED
Moates Burner -usb cable (1.0.2154.0 port driver) be sure to update
Moates Ostrich -usb cable (1.0.2154.0 port driver) be sure to update
Moates Hulog -usb cable
Plx R-500 wideband

Ok thats the hardware im using you can find the moates stuff at http://www.moates.net very good hardware..

Ok now the procedure...first i set up my ports...

-Moates Burner port 4
-Moates Ostrich port 3
-Moates Hulog port 4 (i dont use the burner at the same time when i rtp or dl so its ok to assign same ports..)

Then i:
-open Crome
-file>new>P30 JDM (203) rom
-Plugins>Enhancements>Remove Check Sum
-Plugins>Enhancements>Quick Datalogger + RTP
-File>Save as>"whatever you want"

Now:
Using whatever burner you have...burn a chip with that bin file you saved..install the chip into your ecu (having a zif will make things 10 times easier to remove chips in and out)...turn on the car be sure it runs with no cel..then turn it off

Now: (if you dont have a romulator skip this)
Plug in your moates ostrich if you have one or whatever romulator you have...but do not plug it into the ecu, only ur laptop at this time...besdies your testing it for now..and plus u have the other chip installed in it

Then:
Plug in your datalogging hardware from your ecu to your computer, in my case i have a Hulog...the hulog if you visit the website is a small black box that connects the tx rx and ground wire from your ecu to the black box and from there a usb cable plugs into your computer..(the tx and rx lines are crossed on purpose on the hulog, so dont chang it if you purchased one..and make sure they are crossed) For anyone else using other means to connect...im not sure how the are connected..

Ok getting closer:
If you have a wideband, you should have already connected it...on the PLx R-500 theres a white wire for output...connect that to the o2 signal off the ecu wire harness ( i tapped into it using a splicer and male) and of course ground and power your wideband...

Open Crome:
-Open the same bin you burned
-File>settings>Real Time programming tab: (Skip this if you have no romulator)
-Select your Hardware type (Ostrich)
-Port setting (Com 3)
-Baud (115200)
-Data Bits 8
-Parity (None)
-Stop bits (1)
Leave the connection settings alone
TEST CONNECTION! it should say connected successfully, if not be sure your not connected to the ecu..it should load up without any connection to the ecu socket...

Moving onto the Tunner Com Tab:
-Serial Protocol (PGMFI OBD1)
-Port (Com 4)
-Baud (38400)
-Data Bits 8
-Parity (None)
-Stop bits (1)
Connection Settings leave alone
TEST CONNECTION!
-now for me while the car is off says not connected to ecu, but for some it may connect...you have to turn the car on in order for it to work...dont do it just yet..complete the rest of the settings..
-if you get a 'Bad response recieved. Check your settings' then you have the wrong port setting go back and check the right port setting.

Tunning Logging Tab:
-select the wideband you are using, if not select stock narrow-band
-dont worry about the lamda offset yet..you have to compare when you datalog with crome and the actual reading off ur wideband..

NOW push OK, should close you out of the settings window..
-Start the car, your burned chip should be in..
-Now click on the toggle tuner toolbar..its the Black RPM icon or ctrl+T
-click on live tunning at the bottom
It should now have you connected to the ecu and a box should open to the right with all the parameters mph, afr, rpm etc..

Now for ostrich: (Still should not be connected to ecu yet)
-Click the toggle rtp tool bar or ctrl+R
-On the RTP tool bar which should be above your fuel/igntion maps click 'PUT'
-Click 'Verify'..now ur ostrich is ready for rtp

Now turn off your car:
-Remove the burned chip
-Put the ostrich eprom into the ecu socket, be sure if using a zif you latch it down completely!
-turn the car back on..should run
-click live tunning agin on the bottom and now you should be all connected!

I have found for the ostrich that somtimes it wont verify or update the tables while connected to the ecu..what i have done that works is to..shut the car off...take the EPROM OUT and then load, update and verify...it usually does the trick then plug it back into the ecu...but for most of the time it works great..it just happens once in a while..also if that doesnt work...do all the above but exit crome, be sure to save if you changed anything..and reopen crome and upload or 'put' the file back and then verify..it should work and then plug it back into the ecu and you should be good to go!

Your are now ready to datalog and RTP Hopeuflly! :D

Note this is my personal experience on how to connect! so it may or may not work for you but im hoping it will!

So try it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:22 am 

Very good writing, easy to understand even if I never test it. I can clearly see how it supposed to be. May be wiki ? :roll:
Connecting ECU for dummies :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:33 am 
Senior Developer

yes, this is wiki-worthy for sure. I'll try to get around to it today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:10 pm 
I finally got my setup to datalog thanks to shyboi's writeup. Before I was doing everything in the writeup except for the part with the burning chip.

One thing happened though while I was datalogging and tuning with Ostrich. At one pointmy Ostrich would stop "putting" the rom to the Ostrich. But in settings it still said that it could detect the ECU. Just when I tried to put it would say timed out 3 times in 250ms.

I fixed it but I'm not sure how I did it. I think the last thing I did was to go to tools and click on RTP (Ctrl-R) to turn the RTP bar off, then I turned it on again. Is that the correct way to fix the problem I had above?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:58 pm 

as long as it still detects it to be working, it should be ok..i usally test it by changing the rev limiter to like 2500 or so and update it or if you have real time on it should update automatically..so you should feel the cut off point instantaneously...then change it back where it suppose to be after you verify its working...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:14 pm 
shyboi wrote:
as long as it still detects it to be working, it should be ok..i usally test it by changing the rev limiter to like 2500 or so and update it or if you have real time on it should update automatically..so you should feel the cut off point instantaneously...then change it back where it suppose to be after you verify its working...

nah, it was detecting it in the settings, but when I tried to add fuel it would say 3 attempts timed out in 250ms etc etc. I tried clicking realtime update but it didn't work, I tried clicking update tables didn't work. I trid putting a bunch of times with those two burrons on and off, and with one on and the other off, etc. But it would give me the timeout error. I also tried removing checksum and them adding datalog +RTP but that didn't help either. The last thing I remember doing was going to tools and cliking on RTP. That took away the RTP taskbar. I went back to tools and clicked on RTP again, to add the RTP toolbar back. After that I was able to put again with no timout error messages. Not sure if that last step helped or if something I did before it.

But I think it's worth mentioning in your walkthrough. If Crome stops "putting" to the Ostrich but it is still being detected in the settings tab when you test connection, then typing CTRL+R and CTRL+R again to remove then add the RTP taskbar it might fix this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:53 pm 
ok, I did some more street tuning today and my Ostrich stopped "putting" again, but it was still connecting to the ECU in settings. The only thing I did was go to tools and turn off RTP (CTRL-R) and I went back and turned it on again. I tried putting, and it worked again.

I also found that both my Ostrich and datalogging work if I set the Ostrich to COM 2 and datalogging cable to COM4. My Ostrich would work when on COM 2 but when I had my cable on COM3 it wouldn'y work. I switched it to COM 4 and then it worked fine. So for the people having issues with your datalogging setup not working try finding a COM port combo that works, and stick with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 am 

thanks for the information blue! if anyone have more experience of success please post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:21 pm 

I was having the same problems that shiboy was having, but only have problems when the ecu is a p28. i had to figure out the correct order to do all of this yesterday when i tried to datalog off a friends ecu and could not connect to ecu. I did this with a p06 and it would connect to the ecu every time. good info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:31 pm 
Yah after a while I figured out why it had to be connected that way. The OStrich has to be connected first so that way you can start the car on or just put the ignition to on. The datalogging wont work unless the ecu and wideband are both on and recieving power. The step about putting in the chip can be skipped once you know exactly how to use your Ostrich.

Now all I do is connect my Ostrich and select COM 2 and verify that it is connecting in Crome. Then I put the ignition to "on" and plug in my datalogging cable and set the COM port on that. Verify that it connects in Crome, and if not I find the right COM port combo for the Ostrich and datalog cable until they both connect to the ECU.

Post subject: can't connect
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:54 pm 
I am using a Moates Hulog and burner, P28 ecu all set up. Trying to get datalogging working, i will be getting the innovate wide band in a few weeks. i went through the whole process above step by step and all i get is Bad Response. Checksum is removed, datalog added. according to device manager the hulog is working fine, but i cant connect, any ideas? the map is a base P30, running a LS/VTEC with Type-R internals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:05 pm 
You're just trying to get it to datalog? no Ostrich or anything?

Just make sure your COM ports are matching in the device manager and Crome's settings. Make sure the car is running or the key is in the ON position. The ECU needs to be getting power in order for it to datalog. You might also need to select stock NB from the settings since you dont have a wideband yet. Not sure about the last part though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:00 pm 
no Ostrich or W/B, W/B coming soon. I will go through everything again in a few days. but i already checked all the com port settings and baud rates, i don't know what else to try. I will just go through the list again. If it doesn't work this time I guess i'll just have to pay another Crome tuner to figure it out. Any one in the Tampa area up for it? I just get to frustrated, props to all you programers and writers, I try but just cant get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:09 am 

I live just south of Sarasota. Did you remove the J12 jumper in the ECU? this needs to be done in order for you to Log with crome. Let me know If I can help :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:07 am 
Very nice writeup indeed.

Starting to get into this, helps put the different items in perspective...

*thumbs up for your effort*

8)