pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:38 pm 

Honda owner for all of my adult life. Computer engineer for about the same amount of time.

Can someone clue me in to what the obstacle in modifying/flashing the OBD2 ECUs is? It seems like the general method is to put a OBD1 ECU in and just use that.

Looking at the board, i don't see why it couldn't be dumped, modified, and flashed relatively easily.

I am happy to contribute in any way i can, but i suspect I'm not the first to try, and don't want to start trying to piss up a rope.

Any information and/or links to why I'm wasting my time are welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:38 pm 

senordingdong wrote:
Honda owner for all of my adult life. Computer engineer for about the same amount of time.

Can someone clue me in to what the obstacle in modifying/flashing the OBD2 ECUs is? It seems like the general method is to put a OBD1 ECU in and just use that.

Looking at the board, i don't see why it couldn't be dumped, modified, and flashed relatively easily.

I am happy to contribute in any way i can, but i suspect I'm not the first to try, and don't want to start trying to piss up a rope.

Any information and/or links to why I'm wasting my time are welcome.

I am wondering this exact thing. It seems these forums are about 10 years of not-used, but I still haven't heard of anyone chipping/tuning/modding OBD2 Hondas..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:47 pm 

Ive actually done quite a bit of research into it, and it turns out that while its relatively trivial to dump and modify the chip data, it is not possible to rewrite it.

It is a OKI MCU that is only writable one time, and does not have any interface for external memory. Since it is something of an obscure chip the pricing is very high. lowest i saw was around $100 with significant lead time from china. So, while totally possibly, not cost effective unless you are certain of your tune, because you don't get a second chance if you messed something up.

I read through the data sheet several times hoping for something but it seems pretty cased closed on this one.

There are several similar OKI MCUs that have EEPROM memory, but they don't appear to be pin compatible with this MCU.

I ordered a cheap ECU to play with before a realized this was a dead end, so once it gets here ill see if there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

If i turn anything up i will post here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 pm 

I currently have a 6th gen 96 civic ex d16y8. I'm looking to turbo up to 10psi on stock internals, and I'm tuning on my own for first time using crome. very mechanically inclined and have to figure out for nys inspection how quickly I can switch everything back over from turbo to inspection ready. only issue I'm having is when getting ecu (I'm looking at p30 because p28 in crome free wont datalog or add boost tables) can any ecu be told by crome what it is ie; putting in a p30 map into a p28 ecu or whatever my basemap that start with the 95 ecu will accept.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 am 

fireman131103 wrote:
I currently have a 6th gen 96 civic ex d16y8. I'm looking to turbo up to 10psi on stock internals, and I'm tuning on my own for first time using crome. very mechanically inclined and have to figure out for nys inspection how quickly I can switch everything back over from turbo to inspection ready. only issue I'm having is when getting ecu (I'm looking at p30 because p28 in crome free wont datalog or add boost tables) can any ecu be told by crome what it is ie; putting in a p30 map into a p28 ecu or whatever my basemap that start with the 95 ecu will accept.

You can put a P30 map into a P28.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:19 pm 

isnt it possible to use an adapter if pins dont allign?
maybe something similar to demon board that emulated the original chip?

as far as 2004-up ecus theres away to tune almost all of them
check out tactrix.com and http://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:11 am 

GonzoWerkeAG wrote:
Big 3 guys can greatly benefit from Hydromax and buy tuners that plug into the obd2 port...BUT, they just modify signals, they don't actually edit maps(to my knowledge)

Is it straightforward or do you have to make some adjustments? In other words, can a beginner do this?

Last edited by Keese on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm 

Big 3 guys can buy tuners that plug into the obd2 port...BUT, they just modify signals, they don't actually edit maps(to my knowledge)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:19 pm 

the link above is read/write tools for 2004-up obd2 map editors and all

obd2 96-01 ecus are not programmable unless you replace it with a programmable chip that emulates the original chip

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 am 

senordingdong wrote:
Ive actually done quite a bit of research into it, and it turns out that while its relatively trivial to dump and modify the chip data, it is not possible to rewrite it.

It is a OKI MCU that is only writable one time, and does not have any interface for external memory. Since it is something of an obscure chip the pricing is very high. lowest i saw was around $100 with significant lead time from china. So, while totally possibly, not cost effective unless you are certain of your tune, because you don't get a second chance if you messed something up.

I read through the data sheet several times hoping for something but it seems pretty cased closed on this one.

There are several similar OKI MCUs that have EEPROM memory, but they don't appear to be pin compatible with this MCU.

you are seeing the same things seen 15-20 years ago, some parts were available back then, but the ease of tuning OBD1 ECUs and adding a simple conversion harnesses was so much easier.

tenshi_R wrote:
isnt it possible to use an adapter if pins dont allign?
maybe something similar to demon board that emulated the original chip?

as far as 2004-up ecus theres away to tune almost all of them
check out tactrix.com and http://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/

adapters can be created(which is not easy) plus most of the MCUs out there today have some ports/protocols that do not align(depending on which chip you choose of course) so an adapter circuit would likely have to be created as well.

GonzoWerkeAG wrote:
Big 3 guys can buy tuners that plug into the obd2 port...BUT, they just modify signals, they don't actually edit maps(to my knowledge)

OEMs and their tuning houses have emulators or at the very least CAN tools that modify the maps real time (for modern cars)
There is some evidence in our OBD1 cars that they had something close to this level even in the early 90's.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 am 

How about these?

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-high ... p-adapters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:11 am 

One of the big reasons was costs involved.
Those square obd2 eproms are/were around $100 a pop from what I remember.