pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:05 pm 

Is this just a graveyard? Is there anyone still alive in here?

If so, then I'm putting out feelers to see if there would be any interest in starting a ground up build of the ultimate, open source (that means free people), community supported, plugin-based OBD1 ROM editor. Lately I have felt like the creators of paid Honda tuning solutions (Neptune, Crome pro, Hondata) have had their day, and I wanted to see if there was any interest out there in starting from scratch with the purpose of keeping the project community supported, and open source, with all the features of the paid boys, but none of the proprietary restrictions. I feel like making a program free, but making a super important feature like datalogging or RTP paid options is just nonsense. Or even the cost of some of these paid options is just nonsense.

I understand that this might seem about 15 years too late, but I also know that the OBD1 tuning world has never been more popular. Yes, I'm a latecomer to the game, and tune with Neptune on my own car currently. By day I'm a Java developer/UX designer, and think the Java codebase would make excellent use of an updated technology with cross-OS in mind. Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone still alive in here? Just trying to shake some trees, turn over some rocks and see if there is any interest, and if there is any source code out there that is not VB or Boreland Delphi - Pascal nonsense to start with - It's 2014. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 am 
Senior Developer

Thank you, anyway, for the proposal........but.....
I think there would be new software developper, it would be for the current OBD2 ecu, flashing with JTAG or OBD connection.
The OBD1 ECU are too old and many software/harware already exist and are reliable. The price is not the software but the hardware, eg: Smanager from Hondata is free.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:59 pm 

I have some interest, however dip makes a good point. I am actually going the other way. I have been working with the PK2 88-91 prelude code and hope to be making an editor in the near future.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:07 am 
PGMFI Elf

It's totally doable, but will be a lot of work unless you're copying what's already out there. Hopefully you're not into copying, since you're running my stuff currently and that would be very disappointing. If it's something you're passionate about and you're not going to copy the works of others I say go for it! That's how NepTune got to where it's at.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:59 pm 

Old -ish thread but..

*hands up* me.

I would love to continue development of ectune or start over. I'm not interested in doing EVERYTHING myself but if I had someone to help, I'd be down.

I have over 20 years development experience in many different languages as well as electronic engineering experience.

If you're still interested, pm me. I'd be interested in making a possibly open source tuning app.

I have a chip burner, several ecus and two civics, one turbo MT, one stock AT.

Cheers