pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:36 am 

This thread is for discussion on running TE on Windows 8. The first 5 posts on this thread contain a log of my experience getting TurboEdit working on windows 8.1. You should be able to follow along for the same results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I have TE 3.2.2 running. Installation was painless, I ran the install file in XP compatibility mode and manually installed to the X86 program files folder. After installation the program seems to start and run normally without needing any compatibility mode tricks or running in administrator mode.

My first hiccup was in installing extratables. Again I ran the install file in XP mode/X86 directory. But after installation when trying to add the plugin within TE I kept getting a dll 0x80004005 error. After that I tried running TE in XP mode and as an administrator and the program will not start.

I was able to work around the extratables problem by manually registering the DLL file. First open a command prompt with administrator privileges. Then enter the following commands:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboEDIT PRO\Plugins\Extra Tables
regsvr32 extratables.dll

This seems to get extratables working. I haven't attempted ECU control.

Last edited by Davidss on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:58 am 

Just tried ECU control. Same 0x80004005 error when trying to add it within turboedit. Manually registering the dll then re-adding it in TE makes some progress. After those steps ECU control is listed in the plugins dropdown within TE but clicking it does nothing. Not sure what to try next.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:29 am 

So when trying to start up TE as an administrator I kept getting a mscomclt.ocx error. Deregistering that ocx file and re-registering it fixed the problem:

regsvr32 /u C:\windows\syswow64\mscomctl.ocx
regsvr32 C:\windows\syswow64\mscomctl.ocx

Now starting TE as administrator/xp mode I can install ECU control normally. The problem is that I can't open a bin in that mode. When I start TE normally with no special permissions I can open bins but not ECU control.

EDIT - De-registering and re-registering msflxgrd.ocx seems to fix the bins not loading problem. Now I just can't get ecu control to load.

Last edited by Davidss on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:51 am 

After reading through this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22977

I installed Logworks 3 and ECU control seems to start perfectly. I still haven't tested any of this with an Ostrich or HUlog yet but I will report back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:34 pm 

Today I worked on getting TE working with the Ostrich, and Hulog. First up was just getting the Burn2 working. To do that you will need the windows 8 drivers from here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I ran them with the automated compatibility settings. From there the first time you plug in each moates device you have to wait for windows to do it's normal song and dance. Then unplug and replug in the device. From there installing flashnburn in automated compatibility settings was enough to get everything working smoothly.

Next up was the Ostrich and Hulog. The only hitch I had with these was having to manually find and correct the com port within TE. After I did that everything seems to work perfectly. I can read and write to the Ostrich and ECUcontrol can see the Hulog.

So after all of this it does appear that you can get Turbo Edit working fine on Windows 8!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:26 pm 

Wow,
I have had windows 8 for about 1.5 years and have had nothing but a PITA with it. And you are making great advances... nice. Just as of today i have upgraded to windows 10 Eval. and so far it looks good. One question is why , instead of hassling with windows 8, did you not look to VM Ware or Windows Virtual software to run XP on your windows 8 machine.
I still use an old XP machine for my tuning, but recent addition of Windows Virtual software will take me to trying it on Windows 10.

BTW, windows 10 will be released soon and a free upgrade from Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be offered for the first year.

I am interested if you have made any further progress in this endeavor....