pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:02 pm 

Because I don't want to clutter the other thread I'm starting this thread.

Please follow the other thread if you haven't gotten TE to work yet.

instructions:
http://forum.pgmfi.org/download/file.php?id=6449

file:
http://honda-perf.net/turboedit/EcuControl%206.1.18%20Full%20Install.exe

troubleshooting some issues based on other threads:
*not opening and receiving an error
http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20639
http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22268

A document that is slightly outdated but does cover the basics:
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1IQUt-bTDy5aX614zUoiFKjSrZ1XNAnTfS47GoirNSgY

After configuring the port to 38400 and the proper com port, the device (Hulog) connected.

when i first installed the plugin, I couldn't get it to open... however after I installed logwork 3 it opened:
logworks 3: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php

The error I'm receiving when I click the file (and nothing is connecting is no MTS ports available) However, I don't remember seeing that while the Hulogger was connected.

Now, I have RPM, tps, IAT, and ECT showing. I'm not concerned with the A/F as I will be going to the dyno this wednesday for more tuning.

I am currently working on the map trace function to see how that works. Hope to keep everyone informed with my progress accordingly.

-xavier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:24 pm 

Got it working.. however I have two questions:

1. How do you use the "reload bin" button? No matter how I try, I can't modify the bin then reload it.
2. When I stop logging to edit the values in the table, if I disconnect and close the window, I'm unable to reload the plugin without closing out TE entirely.

Overall, the program works great for ghosting where you are on the values. I've been using the point count to locate where I am on the table... then I edit and just clear the table accordingly.

Hope this helps.
-xavier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:46 pm 

xsnsx wrote:
The error I'm receiving when I click the file (and nothing is connecting is no MTS ports available) However, I don't remember seeing that while the Hulogger was connected.
This just means that there are no ports connected, ie. nothing is plugged into your usb ports.
xsnsx wrote:
How do you use the "reload bin" button? No matter how I try, I can't modify the bin then reload it.
The train of thought on this was to use the New Fuel Value tab (along with a loaded Target AFR) to change update the fuel values. When you make a change, it clears the New Fuel Value and starts to calculate a new value based on the Existing Fuel Value and the Target AFR...Reload BIN just updates the Existing Fuel Value tab with the current values in TE. If I remember correctly, making a change from the New Fuel Value tab not only erases the currently calculated value but also reloads the Existing Fuel Values automatically...I could be wrong though; have to double check.
xsnsx wrote:
When I stop logging to edit the values in the table, if I disconnect and close the window, I'm unable to reload the plugin without closing out TE entirely.
hrmmm, not getting that error on my end. Lazy mans answer is to just minimize ecucontrol instead of closing the window... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:33 am 

Appreciate the response... I'll be going to the dyno again in about 3 hours....

So my question is, does this integrate with the ostrich? modifying the new fuel tab, creating the change, then pushing to emulator would be kinda cool...

As far as the minimizing - I can't believe I didn't consider that.. lol

-xavier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 am 

xsnsx wrote:
So my question is, does this integrate with the ostrich? modifying the new fuel tab, creating the change, then pushing to emulator would be kinda cool...
Going from memory, it should. For fuel values, it will calculate the requirement based on your average and target AFR. In settings there is an option for the maximum change made...so if the calculations say we need a 10% reduction in fuel, you can make it do a maximum of 5% change. I never really used the "autotune", always reviewed the log before making changes...but that isn't practical when on the dyno.

If the emulator is connected in TE, the table changes should be sent whether you type in a new value or ecucontrol sends TE a new value. It's been awhile since I've used this, hence my repeated use of the word should. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:48 pm 

So as a follow up to the dyno.. this program with ECUcontrol was f*king spot on...

I didn't have the time to work with the issue above but on the dyno with a sniffer we would do our pulls logging and just use the point count field and clear it before every pull... this did WONDERS for my tuner as he was able to do the driveability portion and pulls much faster...

the reason I had to go back to the dyno though was b/c I had to switch my throttle body out from a ported b-series (~66mm) to the stock one... guess what..
the car did 138/111... this is by far the strongest the car has EVER been...

thanks for all your help with this project folks.. I'm hoping to win the next race coming in two weeks!!

cheers,
-xavier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:46 am 

That's great news! :D So compared to hondata we are somewhat in the same ballpark on the dyno?

Any pics of the setup you'd like to share? Email/PM me if you don't want to clutter this thread...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:13 am 

For nearly all NA D-series engines, the stock throttle body is more than enough, and preferable for anything driven on the street.

I'm always glad to heard of a car being tuned on TE and surprising people. One tuner at a time, we are going to convert people back to thinking OBD0 is viable!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 am 

fastcrxsi90 wrote:
That's great news! :D So compared to hondata we are somewhat in the same ballpark on the dyno?

Any pics of the setup you'd like to share? Email/PM me if you don't want to clutter this thread...

http://www.rocketturtleracing.com/
is my main website... nothing super special as far as engine stuff.. :)

As far as Hondata versus TE - with the right tools, TE is an exceptionally viable tool that is just as effective as Hondata. The key (imo) to a tuning tool is to:
1. Make timing adjustments
2. Get a flat afr curve in a specified region

This tool satisfied both those requirements perfectly. When I head back to the shop this friday (stress testing a new oil cooler setup) I'll get a print out of the dyno... you'd be VERY surprised to see how awesome the curve is...

The Acid Beaver wrote:
For nearly all NA D-series engines, the stock throttle body is more than enough, and preferable for anything driven on the street.

I'm always glad to heard of a car being tuned on TE and surprising people. One tuner at a time, we are going to convert people back to thinking OBD0 is viable!

Yeah I never knew that the tb could hurt the engine that much... My tuner is now advertising OBD-0 tuning ability (with my laptop of course) :) But in all honesty, this is a big deal in road racing with these OBD-0 people where using hondata penalizes you and TE doesn't... I've started advertising this to other people on forums I'm hanging out at and they are amazed with the results.

-xavier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:42 pm 

Well, if you need more help, I've got some tuning for enduro racing under my belt and I'd be glad to help out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:09 pm 

I like to keep these posts on topic but I can't help this... Just wanted to say a super huge thanks again.. this weekend I did a first place sweep for the weekend at Summit Point!! :D

Go Turboedit!

cheers,
-xavier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:48 pm 

That's )(#$)(*#$ awesome!