pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:46 pm 

Referencing previous post
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22976

I am starting from a completely new laptop with win7 / 64 pro (fresh load)

I have downloaded and installed TE2.5.2
I then downloaded TE3.2.2 Full install..
Attempted to run and then near the end of the install I receive the following error:

I have done some searches and have:
1. Made sure UAC was disabled
2. Ran the full install file as administrator
3. Unblocked the exe file from properties

would anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? I have the option to ignore this error but in my experience, this has yet to yield a positive result.

thank you for your time,
-xavier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:42 pm 

Moving forward, I ignored the error because of this little tidbit I found:

http://www.powerjs.com/faqread.aspx?faqid=4

<That problem is caused by Vista's security system. stdole2.tlb is a file which has been protected by Vista and this file is treated as a stable file and will not change any more. To prevent this file from virus or other malwares, Vista does not allow anyone to change it.

If you have this error message, just ignore it to finish the install. The program will still work.>

granted I'm not using Vista, I'm quite sure win7 uses a similar security posture with files of this nature.

I now have the 3.2.2 up and am expecting my Hulog and Ostrich2.0 to arrive tomorrow.

I hope to keep you all informed... Hopefully this may help someone in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:08 am 

Moving forward I would like to note that I installed the TE Pro in the Program Files (x86) folder. I did this because files referenced here are in 32 bit. I had issues with some write permissions in the main Program Files folder so I tried it over there.. Seems to be doing ok so far.

Regarding this link:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=20341
_________

For those who may be ultra-noob (like myself) goto plugins then install and locate the extracted file... This'll then give you the cool IAT/ECT fuel Enrichment tables.

HTH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 pm 

Moving forward with this install...

I received the ostrich 2.0 in the mail and went to hook it in.

Things I learned and figured out:
1. Removing the ZIF is required
2. When installing the ribbon cable unit, make sure the red ribbon must face in towards the ecu.
3. When attempting to connect to the ostrich 2.0 make sure you go to tools>options>RTP and set the radio tab to ostrich, and the proper com port. If you don't know what com port you're plugged in to, go to devices and printers on your start menu and (assuming the ostrich is plugged in) you'll see your device (also assuming you have the drivers installed etc.)... If you look at the properties, it'll show you what com port you're plugged in to.
4. Here's the kicker that got me... go in deeper to advanced properties and you have to change out the com ports baud rate to 920000 (around that range) and also change your control to hardware.
5. Don't forget to upload your rom to the emulator.

Supposedly I already had a rom ready to load into the ostrich so I didn't have to upload from the ecu.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do this in the future.

-xavier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:23 pm 

xsnsx wrote:
4. Here's the kicker that got me... go in deeper to advanced properties and you have to change out the com ports baud rate to 920000 (around that range) and also change your control to hardware.

Correct, ostrich 2 is set to 920000 baud from the factory (ostrich 1 is 152000).

Thanks for writing everything, its a big help...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:12 am 

xsnsx wrote:
Moving forward I would like to note that I installed the TE Pro in the Program Files (x86) folder. I did this because files referenced here are in 32 bit. I had issues with some write permissions in the main Program Files folder so I tried it over there.. Seems to be doing ok so far.

Is it necessary to install TE in the Program Files (x86) folder? TE seems to load fine in the normal Program Files folder for me, but I am having issues with the plugins. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, is it still necessary to load TE 2.5.2 before loading TE 3.2.2?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:25 pm 

Zoltan wrote:
xsnsx wrote:

Is it necessary to install TE in the Program Files (x86) folder? TE seems to load fine in the normal Program Files folder for me, but I am having issues with the plugins. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, is it still necessary to load TE 2.5.2 before loading TE 3.2.2?

Once I right clicked on the TE icon, selected properties/compatibility/clicked on "run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP", the plugin installation went much better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:11 pm 

Following through -

-I'm quite sure the 2.5.2 base code was required... mainly b/c the original coding was based off of it.

Update:
Took the car to the dyno - got everything sorted out. Very minor issues but with the dyno, it took about 3 hours total... The only thing that I haven't tried was using the datalogging from ECUcontrol. I'll give that a whirl after my race next weekend.

Overall, an awesome product with a great community... if it wasn't for this website, I wouldn't have accomplished anything within the scope of what I was looking to get done. I'll post more on my progress on ECUcontrol later.

-xavier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:02 am 

xsnsx wrote:
RE:http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22976
I had hondata and made 138hp...

soooooo...any new numbers as a comparison to hondata? :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:27 pm 

I should've printed the dyno graphs but the best we turned on the TE was 135 and that was at near 29 degrees for timing. So for road racing we turned it back and kept it at 133/134... The graphs were nearly identical with minus 3-4 hp through the entire curve... Without being able to swap one for the other immediately, it's hard to say what caused the difference. However, the biggest thing I would think would be the 20 degree in temperature between Feb and today. Granted there are the corrections it could still have an impact. Overall, very happy with how it all turned out!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:08 pm 

Could be winter fuel vs summer fuel, different correction applied on the dyno or some other factors. 3-4 HP on a graph not on the same day is within the error percentage, especially if the graph looks virtually the same.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 pm 

Completely agree... The car runs real strong.. great program... would recommend in a heartbeat :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:10 pm 

Awesome. Maybe we can start to turn the tide against the stigma it has now!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:35 pm 

xsnsx wrote:
The only thing that I haven't tried was using the datalogging from ECUcontrol. I'll give that a whirl after my race next weekend.
-xavier

Any luck with ECUcontrol? I can get the extratables plugin to run, but when I click on ECUcontrol, nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 am 

Zoltan wrote:
xsnsx wrote:
The only thing that I haven't tried was using the datalogging from ECUcontrol. I'll give that a whirl after my race next weekend.
-xavier

Any luck with ECUcontrol? I can get the extratables plugin to run, but when I click on ECUcontrol, nothing.

Do you have logworks installed? Logworks needs to be installed or ecucontrol plugin won't work