pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:06 pm 

............................................?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:45 pm 

really, be patient. There could be a real problem, could be a hardware issue. We still don't know why the server went down. The archives will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:15 pm 

in the near future after an internet upgrade i would be willing to set up a backup server.

i cannot lose this site. its been a while since visiting but i have learned so much here.

put me in your contacts and let me know when you decide to give up on this site. i WILL keep it alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:11 am 
Senior Developer

any freebsd gurus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:20 pm 

i dont claim to use freebsd at all, but i have a fedora core 6 server with ~115 gigs of disc space just sitting around doing not much. i would be more than happy to work on getting the wiki back up if you guys need the help. you can contact me at my user name with @hotmail.com tacked on and i can try to help in any way possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:15 pm 

i wouldnt say guru but could maybe answer some questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:20 am 
Senior Developer

the space/bandwidth isn't the issue.

Several months ago (i.e. when the wiki went down) I tried to upgrade from FreeBSD 5.2RC3 to 6.2-STABLE by way of doing a 5.4-STABLE upgrade. All upgrades were done via cvsup/make buildworld. I didn't know that the version of gcc I had couldn't handle the -ipentium3 flag to optimize for the dual p3-550s, and I ended up building a broken kernel, broken libc and broken gcc.

About a week or so ago, I tried to reinstall off a 6.2-STABLE iso, but unfortunately the install program hangs during install. I have it set to format / /tmp /var and NOT to format /usr (where all the daemon configs are) and /home (where 99% of the site is). I *really* don't want to have to format /usr.

It's almost 3:30am and I have to be up in less than six hours to go back to work. I'm working 12 hour days almost every day now and have family obligations too - I just don't have the time to deal with this. I'll check with Nick and see if we have a backup of the wiki.

It's nasty nasty nasty modperl and a bitch to host properly.

/status

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Dave : I dont have a backup of the WIKI... My HD that held backups crashed long time ago, and since the wiki never came back, I couldnt back it up.

You could always send me the zip of /usr/home/pgmfi on a dvd or file and I can keep it as a backup, but unfortunately, I'm like you, I lack time for putting back

I suggest we setup a new WIKI and use archive.org to copy/paste the old wiki into the new one. I'm pretty damn sure, users will build back the new wiki in no time. I'll participate too. Everytime I need to access an info, i'll fetch it on archive.org and paste it on the new Wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:35 pm 

im sure there is more than enough help available on here but i will just make note that i can offer an additional site to send backup data to.

and no i cannot answer your freebsd questions. although i will ask one, why freebsd and not a linux distro?

And how about the community throws together a pool of money to upgrade the server to something more stable. i would make the OS fixed on a compact flash card and get a couple 8 gig flash harddrives.

compact flash roughly $150 (for one fast enough to be worth a damn)
1 8 gig flash hard drive $140

A new motherboard might be required OR get a controller card. The flash hard drives I believe are not backward compatible with the good old PATA back in the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:42 pm 
I feel your pain blundar.

I personally use OpenBSD for my external firewall, VPN server, POP3 and encrypted storage. Up until recently I have been using FreeBSD for http and other services like you. I recently setup all of my remaining computers as dual boot Debian/Ubuntu and Windows XP. After using a Debian based system for several months I can see what all the hype is about. Its so nice to have something that just works. I am in the process of converting my FreeBSD servers over to Debian right now. I will keep my OpenBSD server simply because I'm a bit of a network security nut and I have bought into the whole "most secure distro in the world" propaganda.

Although I love working in BSD variants, I am becoming very disillusioned about their current development state. It is becoming clear to me that the Linux distros simply have a larger and more active developer base. They certainly have a convert in me. I'm actually hoping to become an official GNU/Linux contributor in the near future by helping with the development of the Broadcom wireless drivers.

All of my systems are old, scavenged computers that I have saved from friends and family wanting to upgrade to faster hardware. Two of my systems run on Intel Coppermine cores with 64MB of RAM and, believe it or not I have seen a performance increase in switching over to the latest 2.6.20 Linux kernel.

I just wanted to let you know blundar that you have someone to commiserate with. Don't give up the fight, what we are doing here is important and well worth the effort. I wish I could offer you server space and bandwidth but I have neither, only my support and best wishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:57 am 

I'm not a big Linux buff, but I do get my hands dirty with it from time to time.
I also think that we need to do something about getting the wiki back up and running either by rebuilding it or bringing the old one back to life. I know most of the senor members have a tone of stuff on there plate and its hard to find time for a website. but this is not just any website is a tuner library of info that even the most experienced tuner has to reference from time to time. So I think we need to do what is necessary to get things up and rolling again, Even If we have to charge a fee to help with the maintenance of the site.

I would love to contribute to getting the site back up and running. if its buy donating Hard drives, Memory, Bandwidth, or even a entire server. Speaking of Hardware, I could "Donate" a nice P4 system with ample memory and Disk space if that’s what it takes to get things moving again.

I also think it would be a good idea to get a "Pool" of money going to help out. I know that just about every member has benefitted from this website, be it buy learning how to Chip ECUs and make a few bucks or just saving a few dollars by reading a DIY.

LET’S GET THIS SITE UP PEOPLE!!! If you can help with something Please Speak up and let us know your willing to contribute.

PGMFI.ORG-->FTMFW

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2