pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:40 pm 
Senior Developer

Thankyou for all the valuable feedback. As far as I am concerned, each and every one of you has said something valuable. Things WILL be changing soon, but there is no worry even on the horizon of this place being locked, closed down or made purely pay-for-play. That's not why I started this place, and it will be seen as a last resort in dealing with the problems that are growing.

At this point, things on the table:

Trivial minimum post count (50?) to post outside of Newbie/Assistance Forums

"Registration fee" in lieu of post count

Mandatory test for forum registation. (All answers found in Wiki, guide to test, DESIGNED TO BE EASY)

Encouragement to donate at registration

Link for donation on main forum

Creation of "Developers" group. Development forums read-only except to developers. Developer group open enrollment subject to approval by moderators / administrators.

Crome support, Crome Development moved to seperate forum

BANNING begging for pre-made ROMs 100%

Note: These are not decisions, these are IDEAS. Do not think of them as set in stone or guaranteed to happen. Obviously, some are mutually exclusive - I can't do them all. This is intended to stimulate discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:47 pm 

Quote:

/me thinks this just promotes 'spamming'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:03 pm 

Does it still add to the post count if we delete messages that are spam? Dave, I think these are all great ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:41 am 
PGMFI Elf

AllGo wrote:
Quote:

No, it just promotes /me banning. I am not a nice man. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:05 pm 

Joseph Davis wrote:
AllGo wrote:
Quote:

No, it just promotes /me banning. I am not a nice man. :evil:

That's okay. Ask my wife, I'm not nice either. I doubt many of us are happy-go-lucky kind of people.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:39 pm 
blundar wrote:

Mandatory test for forum registation. (All answers found in Wiki, guide to test, DESIGNED TO BE EASY)

the only thing that worries me about this, is that if the wiki is editable who is going to keep tabs on it making sure some schmuck doesnt come in and remove all the info, or just post the answers on the main page?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:22 am 
Senior Developer

luti wrote:
the only thing that worries me about this, is that if the wiki is editable who is going to keep tabs on it making sure some schmuck doesnt come in and remove all the info, or just post the answers on the main page?

We haven't had many problems with Wiki-abuse yet...
I generally try to check the Changelog at least weekly to see what people have contributed.
The point of a "test" would not be for it to be hard, merely to set a standard for self learning that hopefully would follow in forum activity.

Futher thoughts and discussion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:49 pm 
i agree, i think the test should be relatively easy, but require a decent amount of browsing in the wiki (this way they HAVE to know the WIKI exists, and is full of info before they even have the ability to post a question).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:50 pm 

I think its kind of a backwards progression. When I initially visited pgmfi.org a few years ago I thought there was quite a bit of an elitist mentality and recently its relaxed quite a bit with its move into the "mainstream". To go back that route I think will be a mistake. You are going to make most people not want to bother and they will just turn to the other forums they belong and post there. Then they will get bad information and the pgmfi programs will get a bad wrap. If you read most threads on various other forums in regards to pgmfi projects, a lot of the feedback is half answers that are mostly incorrect. I think the spread of misinformation is tragic. Its just an awful thing to have happen in general. I'd rather see a shit load of stupid questions that have some chance of being monitored by people who know what's up then only a few posts by people walking on egg shells and the rest of the questions fielded on the other million honda forums where they get incorrect information and it ends up spreading like AIDs in Africa.

What really needs to be done is most work on making getting involved with actual development easier. Its very hard to get involved as none of its discussed here. No one except a few people know whats going on. You need to be in the inner circle and its just a bunch of horse shit. Post up ideas, discuss, teach, learn. Make things so other people WANT to help. Make things accessible. Then things may get better. As with most things people are interested in, they want to get involved, they just don't know how. When you make it easy in that sense, things work out better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:21 pm 

Sorry, but I see the root of the more widespread problem you describe with a tendril HERE. The problem is that the people who are GIVING the half assed answers elsewhere have only read what they think they need to know, or had one stupid question answered in the noob forum. The problem is not in the answers or information not being available, but rather that many people are not seeking the whole answer from the source. They are not delving deep enough, and thus, when they pass on any information they DO have, it is incomplete at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:02 pm 

Kabuki wrote:
Sorry, but I see the root of the more widespread problem you describe with a tendril HERE. The problem is that the people who are GIVING the half assed answers elsewhere have only read what they think they need to know, or had one stupid question answered in the noob forum. The problem is not in the answers or information not being available, but rather that many people are not seeking the whole answer from the source. They are not delving deep enough, and thus, when they pass on any information they DO have, it is incomplete at best.

We are assuming the source is here, and people are not looking for complete answers here now, what do you think will happen if you make the forum's availability to only people willing to jump through hoops? Now those people who don't want to put up with that BS are FORCED to go to other sources and the information gets more and more skewed. At least now, the option is there to easily come here. Choosing not to is their bad choice. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 am 

I hear you all on all points made. Can't agree more.

I myself have not contributed much either. I have however spent hours reading and educating so i could contribute. However, life being crappy as it can be and having my most stressful job the past 2.5 years I have done really nothing with the technology, even coming to this site, and unfortunately have had no money. That I hope will change now.

Here is my take on things.

Modifying cars has exploded. Too many people think they can but really can't for many reasons. These days people are lazy and want others to do the work for them. All they care about is making their car cool and getting laid because of it.

I see making anything require payment you will see a flood of "I paid for membership I want answers!". I personally don't want to see that. I think a point system could work out like experts-exchange does. There could be a totally free and "free for all" section, then a more regulated by point system, and I believe a valued member section is in order.

So basically there is an area people can run wild. Then you got a regulated section based on points. Then the valued member is obviously those who contribute correctly, obey the rules, ask educated questions, answer correctly and donate either money, services, or development. i do agree a developer only section and to add to that have a question area for development for users to get help.

Moderation is necessary as those of you are aware of. It is sad but it is highly needed. Warn those with demands. Delete the stupid questions and tell them to read. I think repeated posts with the same question should be combined, I hate finding a question and see several posts saying answer here. Most of all put it on the user to do it right. Meaning, if they post a question say about chrome in the engine troubleshooting section just delete it and warn them. Too many warnings and abuse is ban. Add moderators, as long as a change history is kept with the appropriate structure you could just revert all changes made by said user back to said date. That is if someone given power becomes a dick.

People with respect will remain. Those without it don't even deserve to read this site honestly. It is a long haul but I find it worth it. This place has put life and drive in my hobby I love. And hopefully will continue to do so.

Now, anyone in the 636 area know of a good paying, well structured, well managed IT company to work for? My donations will follow... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:05 am 

Dave,

Although you and I have never met or realize who each other are. I'm a sitting example of a wet sponge absorbing tons of information that has been compiled on this community based forum. You see it is because people like you and myself who believe in free and solid educational information places like this are around.

Unfortunately what degrades this is our generation of slackers and won't do but want others to do for us individuals out there. Believe me Dave, this forum has blown my mind on many occassions when I need help understanding rom editing, coding, and just plain fuel injection theory. I agree with all of your ideas, and I'm okay with interacting more and more to get to the point where I have as much access as I do now. I personally am furious with a ton of things on here. I'm an avid reader of the wiki and the forum and I see so much of I need this, or can someone show me how to do this, or my favorite who has this bin. This non-sense has got to stop immediately.

I have been reading and learning in the corner, you know that quite kid in the library but I'm getting to the point where I'm almost ready to communicate with some of the great minds like yourself and others.

The feeling when I first got our forced induction crx running was probably one of the most memorable times I have burned into my memory and then seeing real time in action for the first time and understanding it blew my conception away even further.

I just wanted to say thanks, thanks for envisioning what you dreamed of and making it a reality, and to all those who have help you, hats off to them as well.

I'm perfectly fine with change and willing to adapt, whatever it take Mr. Blundar, whatever it takes to keep this place alive, DO IT! There will be tons of us the community who will stand behind it.

As I try to get my dream of my engine building and dyno shop up I have been keeping you and the community in my prayers and I'll see if I can donate some money to your fight when my financials stable.

Regards,

Thomas & Staff @
Garage Tuned Autoworks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 am 

so whats going on at this point, i've been out of the loop?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

dunno, posts are 4 years old.