pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 pm 

Hi! Newbie here looking for advice, any input appreciated!

I picked up a 1998 CRV with a blown engine (originally outfitted with the low-compression engine) and installed a 1999 high compression JDM-import B20B. It came with a knock sensor like the B20Z but had the original B20B 'giraffe' intake. I took the crank sensor off the blown engine and installed it on the new engine.

The ECU I have is the Gen1 37820-P3F-A01 designed for the low-compression 98 engine. Obviously the engine fuel/ignition map is going to be wrong for the high-compression engine and it won't have any provision for the knock sensor (or am I wrong?). I assume the 37820-P3F-A01 can't just be reprogrammed, right?

I can pick up a used 37820-phk-a02 ECU for a bit over $100 and then wire the knock sensor to it with some custom wiring without too much fuss. If it were you, is that what you would do? Or is there some kind of reasonably priced other ECU that might be more feature rich / programmable if I should want to tweak things down the road? I'm OK with spending a few hundred bucks if I wind up learning something useful but I don't have an infinite budget for this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 am 

personally if it was my build I would convert it to obd1 and have someone tune it, way easier to me then dealing with obd2.