pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:48 pm 

So a little bit of backstory. My 2000 Civic EX (D16Y8) developed some serious running issues. Smoking, loss of power, etc. 240K on the clock so i just purchased a reman head. Head showed up, looked fine, but at install time it became apparent there were some differences between old and new. Everything bolted up fine, so we went with it. It actually ran and all prior issues were gone. Curiosity got the best of me and did the research to determine that i was actually sent and installed a D16Y5 head.

It certainly runs, but i can tell it is not quite right. I ordered a Y5 ECU, but based on the injector size, EGR, and O2 sensor, it is becoming apparent that a simple ECU swap to match the head is not in the cards.

So my next option is a chipped OBD1 ECU and tuning to match the frankenstein.

I am working on crome bin to use for this. Being somewhat unusual (vtec-e), is this truly the uncharted territory i fear it is? I found a bin from a supposedly running well Y5, but it has me concerned as the idle timing is set at 16.50. Seems quite high.

Basically i am looking for a starting point. If i have to do this from scratch that is fine, but if there is a config out there for something like this, it would certainly help.

Im not terribly interested in getting the lean burn and all that to work ( in know it wont with chipped ECU), i just don't want this thing to break itself.

Any thoughts? Has this ever been done before?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.