pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 pm 

I was thinking about a getting crome but if I decide with hondata s300 I would skip all the other equipment I'd need for burning a chip. I was wondering what's the easiest to learn on and also get help. I was told it is easier for others to read my hondata tune if I had any issues. Not too sure how that works but any thing helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 pm 

Having been in the game far longer than I care to admit here is my advice.
1) Patience
2) read everything about tuning you can
3) search, search, search. There is a lot of old stuff out there that can help understand what you are trying to do
4) find a good tuner and buy them beer and hang out. You'd be surprised how effective this is to gaining knowledge.

Good luck with tuning, and make little changes at a time, not big ones, unless you are reducing values because they are far to high.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:11 pm 

the s300 is a good platform, but to me it's layout is such that never really made sense to me. I also feel that it's designed to be tuned in a shop by professionals. (this may be my personal feelings due to how they have treated the DIY movement in honda tuning over the years) You can tune the s300 yourself and many do, but I've never liked the tuning experience with their software. (I owned and tuned with s200 and s300 at various times)

IMO Neptune with a demon2 is the way to go. It has all of the abilities of the s300, and the designer/owner/guru is on here regularly and on his forum and chat constantly to answer even the silliest of questions. (I've asked my share)

Crome is great due to the price, but support is limited to on here by users, which is hit or miss depending on when users are on line.

As far as sharing the tune, they all can do it.
As far as quality of basemaps, they all have approximately the same base to pull from.

But if you really dig into it, it depends on what you are comfortable with, and can get the most support for. A great place to start is to step through their help files/site/whatever to get an idea of how it works and the menu structures.

If you're going for the DIY route, and do not have any local tuner availability Neptune is almost impossible to beat.
As danielthenerd said, if you have access to a local tuner who is willing to help you, use what he/she/they use and ask as many questions as they are willing to answer.

[I'm a little scattered with my thoughts today, hopefully that makes sense]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 am 

I thought tuning was the same on all platforms and programs? When you say you don't like their software is it because it has bugs and it's more difficult to get around? Sorry if It's a ridiculous question but when I was looking at Crome and the s300 software they look similar to me, as someone who has never touched either software, so from what you've said I'd assume it'd be bugs or just the layout that'd make it more difficult for me to learn on.

One more question, after seeing rates of my local tuner I'd assume that it's harder to tune an NA build vs a stock turbo? If I remember right it was nearly double to tune an na build vs stock turbo and they strictly mentioned it had to be stock turbo otherwise there's a price change. Should I start off low psi turbo once I feel confident to start tuning?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 pm 

ssccouch wrote:
I thought tuning was the same on all platforms and programs? When you say you don't like their software is it because it has bugs and it's more difficult to get around? Sorry if It's a ridiculous question but when I was looking at Crome and the s300 software they look similar to me, as someone who has never touched either software, so from what you've said I'd assume it'd be bugs or just the layout that'd make it more difficult for me to learn on.

One more question, after seeing rates of my local tuner I'd assume that it's harder to tune an NA build vs a stock turbo? If I remember right it was nearly double to tune an na build vs stock turbo and they strictly mentioned it had to be stock turbo otherwise there's a price change. Should I start off low psi turbo once I feel confident to start tuning?

my preference was more based on menu formatting and feature arrangements than functionality.
For you, this is not really a concern since you have no knowledge going in. (I wish I could purge my previous knowledge and start over at times)

it's harder to tune a build in general, turbo or not. "stock turbo" or "stock non turbo" means very little work to be done as far as tuning the maps. (ie the stock maps are going to be very close)
Built means a basemap is going to be a starting point and you have to mess with everything to get it right.

Starting out, I'd go with a stock non turbo. Very little to do and you can mess with things to get used to it and see results. Stock setups are also a lot more tolerant to mistakes. (cause they happen to all of us)
Adding boost complicates things, and increases the potential damage in the case of an oops moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 am 

I see so I'm pretty much just trying to optimize the factory map in a way. Hopefully this goes well, I still got a lot to read on this forum. Thank you relic for your replies, I feel like I've learned a lot already from your posts.