pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:07 pm 

Good day! I am attempting to chip a ROMless 88 PM6 following the guide in the WiKi and the several threads that have been produced on the subject. I think I dun screwed up already. heh Here is what I have got so far!

As you can see in the pic above, I have the EPROM in there already, and yes, I know it's not correct yet. I just put it in there to make sure I didn't screw anything up with my (poor) soldering skills. (I can solder stuff onto boards, I just have never used solder to stick stuff to the outside of anything like this before.) Now, what I am most ly concerned with is that I think that I shouldn't have soldered ALL those legs to the chip below. The pics that have been posted previously by others doing this are not at all helpfull to me. If anyone would want to contribute better photos of how they've done this, please do. That would be of great help to me and the community at large.

Do I have the wires soldered to the correct legs of this chip? It was rather difficult to tell from the previous pictures, as again, they were not clear or at the right angle to tell what went where. The only reason there are two different size wires is that I had different wire widths available.

If anyone would care to comment on my soldering or give me points as to how to make this type of better, or if, miraculously, they are fine, I would appreciate that, too.

Pics hosted courtesy of The ZC Resource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:05 pm 

You connected your EEPROM totally wrong. You connected it directly :shock:
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/pub/Library/ ... C00667.jpg

Please read the wiki carefully and take a look at the pictures :!:
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Lib ... An88-89ECU Connect according to the last(second) table!

Check this thread also: viewtopic.php?t=953[/url]

I successfully chipped my PM6 today 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:53 am 

*sighs* I know the chip isn't supposed to be there. I just had it there to make sure that when I soldered the socket on, I didn't screw up the spacing or anything because I had never soldered anything like that before.

I have been through those threads and the WiKi. The pics in the threads are not focused or from angles that don't help me. The chart in the WiKi is also fairly useless to me as I don't have a freaking clue as to what pin is what. I am asking for better pics as I am a better visual learner!

I am asking for better pictures or a decent idiot-proof schematic of some sorts for my retarded, n00b mind to graps WTF is supposed to go where!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:45 am 

here ya go beave...lucky i took a bunch of pictures when i did a pg7. i used the guide in the wiki and i also used just what little stuff i had. very messy and obviously can be done cleaner but between this and the wiki you might be able to get it done.

Post subject: Chipping
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:24 am 

Some more photos, just to make it clear :)
Note that there are two(2) sockets used for chipping, because the EEPROM is not fully connected to the External RAM chip :!:
Man, I hope you don't chip your ECU only according the photos.
The table(second) in the wiki is perfect IF you know in what way are the pins numbered.

I also did a complete simple wiring scheme for you, I hope you like it 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:00 pm 

Can someone please confirm whether this method can be used with the SST27SF512 Eeprom?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:32 pm 

wow that looks like a ton of work just for a chipped ecu.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 pm 

It's not vard or time consuming if you get it right. If you put a wire in the wrong place then it becomes time-consuming to figure out your muckup . . .

Now back to my original question.

Can this setup be used with an sst27sf512 chip? The pinouts are nearly identical except for pin 22 on the 512k.

See picture for reference.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:47 pm 

shiftyjonno wrote:
It's not vard or time consuming if you get it right. If you put a wire in the wrong place then it becomes time-consuming to figure out your muckup . . .

Can this setup be used with an sst27sf512 chip? The pinouts are nearly identical except for pin 22 on the 512k.

See picture for reference.

nice pinout for chips.

Last edited by dohcef8si on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:50 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:39 am 

shiftyjonno wrote:

Yes, but you must take care with pinout order, and if you want to have 2 maps on same chip, you can connect one switch with 5v supply to pin 22 and have 0-255 addressing and 256-512 addressing !!

I'm chipping an pm7 romless too, but i want to go RTP (Real Time Programable) way.

I must do this schema to made EEPROM adapter and then the other RTP circuit with 27Cx emulation?

Or i can do another direct reemplacement without romadaptor ?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:39 pm 

Thanks for your reply alecuba16

Right, Last night I had a go at chipping a romless ECU with 2 maps on an sst27sf512 using 'mynameistin's' method. I had previously been using the 'daughterboard' style adapter, but found it to bee a little bulky.

Success with 2 maps on a 512k chip has been a bit scarce . . . I think the 4.7k resistor I was using was a little too high and so I've switched to using a 1k resistor. I'll test it out later today and post the results and a couple iof pics.

So theoretically I should now have 3 maps (2 on the chip, and then the stock map).

Quote:
I must do this schema to made EEPROM adapter and then the other RTP circuit with 27Cx emulation?

Or i can do another direct reemplacement without romadaptor ?

Which RTP board/design are you using?

Personally, I was looking at removing the bulky plastic cover from my Ostrich 1 and mounting the board in the ECU itself. In a permanent arrangement.

Last edited by shiftyjonno on Tue May 05, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:46 pm 

i have a feeling you may be switching the wrong pin should be like this and with 4.7k or 10k resistors i wouldnt myself go any lower or higher.you need to pull pin 1 out of the socket so its not getting power from the socket only accross the resistor.heres a pic off our delco ecu website.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:57 pm 

:Stumped:

I fully understand that pin 1 of the EEPROM must be disconnected from the PCB.

Thats how i've always been doing it, (with 4.7k and sometimes 10k resistors) but its only worked on a couple of ECU's . . . . I'm stumped as to why.

I've got a bit of time to have a muck around on it tonight, so hopefully i'll sort it out.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:17 pm 

Success!

Last night I was testing the 2 rom map on an 88 Romless ECU. I used the 'double socket' method as opposed to the daughterboard style which I had previously been using.

Before I started, I checked and rechecked that my soldering was good . . . (it always is!!)

1. First, I used a 1k resistor and got a solid CEL.
2. I then swapped the 1k resistor for a 4.7k resisitor and got a solid CEL.
3. I then swapped the 4.7k resistor for a 10k resistor and STILL got a solid CEL.
4. After rechecking that the soldering and hardware were setup correctly, I figured that the last thing I could check would be the chip itself.
5. I reprogrammed the sst27sf512 chip with the dual map (64kb) file.
6. SUCCESS!! . . . It worked like a charm.

It was then possible to switch between stock and 2 rom maps with no issues.

CONCLUSION:
I figure that when I first tested out the dual map with a 1K resistor, that I might have somehow mucked the program up. After erasing the chip a couple of times, and then re-programming the 64kb bin file (on the SAME chip) everything went fine.