pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 am 

I'm looking to enroll on college, not real sure what should i go for... I'm 21 and I been a cable or Dish network subcontractor since i got out of school at 17 marking anywhere from 2000 to a minimum of 800 weekly doing this... but i need something to fall back on later on in life.. I tune cars as a hobby and get paid for it. I was going to take mechanical engineering but i'm already fluent in Autodesk Inventor and Solid works and have real life experience CNCning stuff.. so i discarded that.. NOW i want to mess with electronic, that my side hobby messing with the arduino on my spare time. I want to know what are the majors or how do you guys got where you are at now.. guys like JaredKaragen, Blundar. I'm thinking of electronic engineering.. but is that going to cover the software development also? or do i have to get computer programing???

Just wondering cuz i really admire all this guys skills and will love to get to that level.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:00 am 

zriuz wrote:
I'm looking to enroll on college, not real sure what should i go for... I'm 21 and I been a cable or Dish network subcontractor since i got out of school at 17 marking anywhere from 2000 to a minimum of 800 weekly doing this... but i need something to fall back on later on in life.. I tune cars as a hobby and get paid for it. I was going to take mechanical engineering but i'm already fluent in Autodesk Inventor and Solid works and have real life experience CNCning stuff.. so i discarded that.. NOW i want to mess with electronic, that my side hobby messing with the arduino on my spare time. I want to know what are the majors or how do you guys got where you are at now.. guys like JaredKaragen, Blundar. I'm thinking of electronic engineering.. but is that going to cover the software development also? or do i have to get computer programing???

Just wondering cuz i really admire all this guys skills and will love to get to that level.

:)

Get a Masters in Math, 2x if you are determined.... this will bring you above all else when it comes to getting a job.. I swear.

Me, Originally I went to college as a generic computer science, but initially wanted to pursue robotics as a career... this encased alot of the aspects I liked, creating, as well as programming (hardware and software), as well as a good electronics knowledge to be able to incorperate everything...

But the best advice I ever got was "Get a masters in Mathematics, nobody would refuse to hire you whatever it is you do".... smart man!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:18 am 

I loved robotic for the same reason.. love designing stuff.
I'm now attempting to make an electronic shifter via Arduino board and 2 servos, controll by a paddles.. clutch will still be mechanical.

I want to create peripherals and software for them, so i'm looking for a career that incorporates both. I'm really going to use that tip and squeeze math in there. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:20 am 

And I am flattered to be put up there with the names you mentioned; but alas I am a small drop in the bigger 'ocean' here ;)

No degree; never finished college, But I have been playing with PC's since I was very young... and been soldering circuits for as long as I have been able to pick up a soldering iron =) Our school (4th grade) was the 1st in the US to receive PC's (a truckload of 8088's, and 80286-8's from IBM.. I was one of the 3 students who helped set-up and teach the staff about them and how they work.At 18; I was designing and manufacturing custom LCD's and controllers, based around the customer's request... no matter how off the wall it seemed =) I am only 26... I still have alot to learn I will admit... but know more than enough to do whatever I set my mind to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:32 am 

I'm pretty much the same, if i like it i research it and learn it quick.. done, bring something new.
i got to get a hang of electronics now, i have a basic idea, but they are just too complicated i got to step up my game. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:44 am 

JaredKaragen wrote:
And I am flattered to be put up there with the names you mentioned; but alas I am a small drop in the bigger 'ocean' here ;)

No degree; never finished college, But I have been playing with PC's since I was very young... and been soldering circuits for as long as I have been able to pick up a soldering iron =) Our school (4th grade) was the 1st in the US to receive PC's (a truckload of 8088's, and 80286-8's from IBM.. I was one of the 3 students who helped set-up and teach the staff about them and how they work.At 18; I was designing and manufacturing custom LCD's and controllers, based around the customer's request... no matter how off the wall it seemed =) I am only 26... I still have alot to learn I will admit... but know more than enough to do whatever I set my mind to.

small drop but a big help