pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:31 pm 

If so, Does it work with stuff like turboedit and whatnot?

I really wanna migrate to a Macbook Pro . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:34 pm 
the new Mac's are Intel machines, plain and simple, they run windows just like every other computer runs windows.

i own a macbook (and many other apples) and have used bootcamp to tune with crome/freelog. it works fine. parallels will also work, but you will need to have a ton of ram and really optimize the system to get decent datalogging speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:04 pm 

That's pretty cool.

My sister just got a Macbook Pro (15") and it's really awesome. My current laptop (IBM thinkpad) is dying and I really don't want to deal with Windows anymore, but to tune my car, I need to run it. I think something like this would be the most awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm 
I run it, it's just a partition on your hard drive, like you could do with any computer.

If you really wanted to you could get an external with XP loaded on it and just use boot camp to select a completely different startup disc. This would make things a little more cluttered in your car, but it would save you some hard-drive space... pr0n space. :wink:

I love my MacBook, student discount rules. $2000 for the fully decked out version is still pretty steep for what hardware you get, but Leopard is bloody flawless. As well as one free year of Apple care, and the additional 4 extension is only $150. That's any repair, or bug, no questions asked.

It's a good comp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:53 pm 

just have duel boot then it will run fast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 pm 
Coupe-r wrote:
just have duel boot then it will run fast!

Dual boot? That crappy side-by-side emulator?

I thought that was supposed to be worse than VirtualPC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:35 am 

Dual boot means you can boot two different OS on your computer, and choose which one to startup. You hold a key while you start and select either Mac or Windows. Pretty cool.

However, because of the Intel architecture, you can also run Windows inside OSX, and also you can visually blend the two operating systems, so that Windows files sit right next to Mac files. This virtualization is actually very fast—you hardly notice the difference. Forget about VirtualPC though. The best virtualization software is Paralles, and VMWare a very close second.

I have been using Parallels on my MBPro myself, but am going to run BootCamp so I can do the logging and buring—haven't been able to run external Usb devices with Parallels.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:53 am 

robus wrote:

I have been using Parallels on my MBPro myself, but am going to run BootCamp so I can do the logging and buring—haven't been able to run external Usb devices with Parallels.

That sucks..I was going to do the same but I guess I need to run boot camp or even both.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:12 am 

I bought a 15" MBP in Feb/ 2.4GHz, 160GB, and installed another 2GB of ram (4GB total). Holy crap!

For some reason, Leopard didn't come pre-installed, and looking at another regular Mac, Parallels is already installed on that one. How do I go about getting Parallels? I have a new, legal copy of XPSP2 waiting to figure all this out. I need to do this soon as I am going home on leave shortly and will need some Windows computing time for some crap.

I still can't believe how fast/capable this machine is!