pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: eprom programmer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:59 pm 

Hello!

I have a quick question, as I'm new on this forum...I'm trying to find some compatible hardware to use TE with romulator. I found the pocket romulator on xtronics site for $180. I didn't understand how it's supposed to work in real time though...
I will try to explain: can I use ANY eprom programmer (of course one that supports 2xCxxx chips). I found one on Ebay for about 49. you can check it out here: http://www.willem.org. Anybody heard about it?
The programmer from xtronics is three times as much! And I don't think it has more features, but maybe I don't know.
On xtronics website they say that the romulator takes the image from any chip and puts it in its buffer. So, can it take it from any programmer? From here I understood that TE modifies is and puts it back in the romulator, right? And after that they say that the image can be saved from the romulator to the programmer. How? Who does this? TE or the programmer's software???
Another thing: I have a modified chip in the ECU, and I know it's running pretty rich...anyway, can I open the image with the timing and fuel settings with TE?
How is the datalogging suppose to work? Does it appear only when connected to the ECU?
I'm sorry it turned out to be a long set of questions... :oops: Can you please try to explain?

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:56 am 

first of all, i do have this model http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/c ... oduct=3090

it's work well! only 1 usb cable for data/power

and for your actual chip, you will need to re-ajust the amount of fuel using the datalloger (that you will be able to see in action only when the engine is running) you will be able to do something great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:12 pm 
You're confusing 3 different things.

1) ROMulator is only for emulating the ROM, and programming the ECU in real-time. You plug the cable of the ROMulator into the socket where the chip would sit on the ECU, and the serial cable to your laptop. You open TE's RTP Monitor, and it'll sync the ROM you have open, with the ROMulator. Then you start your car. You can make changes on the fly in TE, and TE will automatically update the ROMulator. (Apparently, I broke something in the support for this, and until I get my ROMulator back, from a friend of mine, I can't fix it, but the support is there.)

A new product I'll be adding to this is called Ostrich. IT's made by Craig Moates (http://www.moates.net). I haven't had a chance to work with it yet, but it's sitting here on my desk. I'll add it as soon as I can. It's supposed to be really close to ROMulator, so, it shouldn't take too much effort to add.

2) To burn a chip, you need a programmer. A seperate device. Xtronics calls thier programmer "Pocket Programmer II". Willem is also a burner, not a ROM emulator (ROMulator or Ostrich). You plug a chip into it, open the corrosponding software and permanently write the ROM image to the chip. Then yout ake the chip out, and put it into the socket on the ECU, and run the car.

3) The datalogger is yet another seperate peice of hardware. This is a cable, with either a TTL->RS232 convertor built in (nokia cable) or, you purchase a convertor board, and plug a generic serial cable into it. This connecsts to a seperate part (CN3 connector) and communicates with the ECU seperate from the EEPROM socket.

All 3 devices are equally useful, the burner probably more so than the others...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:20 pm 

jason..
are you saying that the romulator might not work correctly with the new 2.5.1??
i have sucessfully used the Hondata ROMulator before with Try11
i just did a few days ago as a matter of fact
ill have to go back and try it this weekend...
but ill see if theres any problems.. and if its still working without any flaws

your previous post about something broken just threw me off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:14 pm 

Thank you everyone for your replies. It makes things MUCH clear now! :D I will ask some more questions if I need help.

Thanks again!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]