pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:18 am 
Yeah, it would be a shame if we lost this forum. I'm learning so much by coming here and messing around with the roms.

I think that registration would be a great idea but beware the post count idea.....boards are filled with post whores these days (I'm glad this one isn't).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:43 am 
Yo.

The question of protecting information (ROMS/Software) on the board is really a concern.

To help prevent people from selling our softwares, could put "THIS SOFTWARE IS FREE OF CHARGE, IF YOU PAID FOR IT, YOU HAVE BEEN SCREWED" everywhere in the software so pple will know.

Another thing in which I have some concerns. If we get too populars, we will start getting spammed with @!#$ like : " How do I program an ECU", "Who is OKI ?", "Y0 ph4t 3CU g33kz, Me C1v1C 1s fast3r th4n 4ny0n3s h3r3! Fuc|< y0u 4LL !!!".

We are kinda serious here, I would not like seeing the site dying under stupid post from lamers.

What about closing doors, and reopen when we are almost finished ? so we can give TENGIBLE and USABLE info/software ??

Fucking Internet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:03 pm 
the problem with closing the doors is that we would be keeping others out, and, while it keeps the "l4m3rZ" out (how the hell does anyone justify wasting that much time to make something look that idiotic, anyway?), it could also keep that one person out who can contribute the 'rosetta stone' of sorts... you gotta admit, a small percentage of people on this planet hold sufficient brainpower to overwhelm the remaining percentage, and it's that small percentage we want and need to attract. Unfortunately, it's also going to attract the remainder, as well. (the Dseries forums are starting to get all that riff-raff...)

As much as it would become a hassle, I feel the right thing to do would be to leave the board open, but put the commercial ROMs away. After all, when all is said and done, the only thing the commercial ROMs will be good for is to laugh at...

Does anyone know the truth about this: I heard that, under federal law, the O.E. code is supposed to be available from the manufacturer, but from what I understand, the manufacturers never bothered to make it available, and the Feds never pushed it.

And boot, kick, ban, block, or do whatever else is necessary to the "ph4t g33kz" to keep them off the board...

and forget counting posts... post whoring sucks.

my .025 (adjusted for inflation)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:26 pm 
PGMFI Elf

I've had a number of n00bs from here (or just casual surfers) email me a couple times with the small questions before they posted here their first time, or decided it was something too intimidating for them and swam away. I think the aura of hardcore techie geek that surrounds this place will keep the 1337 and the simpleminded at bay.

The idea of a minimum number of posts combined with a couple of day wait for activation should allow you to delete accounts and ban IPs if someone tries to postwhore.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:37 pm 
I think that closing the doors is a bit scary. There are lots of people that may drop by and have something to offer but then wouldn't.

I say keep it techie...that scares away most of the nimrods.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:38 pm 
Senior Developer

Bottom line: these forums will remain totally open until the site closes

Bottom line: the most I will restrict access to ROMs will be to require ppl to be registered users.

This site was founded on the principle of cooperation.
I hope to keep it that way forever.

Evan, you should be intimately aware that a lot of the groundbreaking work has been done off the site by people in direct contact with each other. I try to maintain contact with most of the major developers, and the forum is already starting to be almost more of a socializing area for people to meet and interact with each other.

Certainly we are experiencing growing pains.

The solution to this surge of interest and activity certainly bears much consideration. I have already done several things, and I plan on implementing several more.

Please note:
-We now have considerably more moderators. Myself, xtensive, dohcvtec, George (Ricketts), Mark Lamond, Cyclonus, Doc, Synoptic (Nick) are now full moderators. EG6ajk is a moderator for the ROMs forum. My justification for this is that alothough I read every post on this board, having a few more people that can help sort out fluff from content will be helpful. I expect all posts that are answered adaquately in the FAQ to be removed. These individuals were chosen because of their meaningful, long term involvement in the project.
-I am planning on restructuring the site so that you must be a registered forum member in order to access the ROM dumps.

I will accept further ideas, but I will not under any circumstances limit who can and cannot get access to the information within. The whole point of this site is for people to learn.

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:00 pm 
A Newbie Retards point of veiw:

For starters, I've been lurking for only a week or two. I don't intend to be shitbagger of your site. I'm a senoir M.E student, so electronics is not a strong point but does interest me and I am willing to help if possible. I work for an aftermarket suspension manufacturer(non-Honda) and am better at setting up suspensions for (road)racing/autocross than deciphering .bin files.
Regarding the influx of stereotypical ricers as described by Nick, Joseph Davis hit the nail on the head. Even having some technical background, this site was/is intimidating. It is very technically oriented and most ricers have the attention span of a two year old. Aside from the content, the no B.S. look of the forum will also detract dumbasses due to previously said reason. Finally, the min. number of posts ideas could result in pointless bullshit chatter that plagues most every other forum on the net.
Again, if I can be of help, let me know. Till then I'll keep reading and learning.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:10 pm 
Senior Developer

does your company manufacture computer controlled suspension ? :) :) :)

Welcome here

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:46 pm 
Guys... Firstly id like to apologize for letting loose the info to the h-t.com

The reason i did post it there is such as myself I am an enthusiast and dont intend to make any profits.... Another reason is that business such as unichip or powerchip to name some of them.. (no offense to you guys) the cost of unlocking potentials from the honda family is just ridiculous..

I got hyped up after reading your posts here..

I recently did a H22A engine conversion on a CD5 Accord
as you know H22A uses P13 ECU, i opened up one night looked at the OKI chip and said to myself... theres gotta be a way to DIY... and so ive stumble accrossed it..

But yeah.. i must apologize for my actions

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:50 pm 
Guys... Firstly id like to apologize for letting loose the info to the h-t.com

The reason i did post it there is such as myself I am an enthusiast and dont intend to make any profits.... Another reason is that business such as unichip or powerchip to name some of them.. (no offense to you guys) the cost of unlocking potentials from the honda family is just ridiculous..

I got hyped up after reading your posts here..

I recently did a H22A engine conversion on a CD5 Accord
as you know H22A uses P13 ECU, i opened up one night looked at the OKI chip and said to myself... theres gotta be a way to DIY... and so ive stumble accrossed it..

But yeah.. i must apologize for my actions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:39 pm 
it would be great if certain software and ROMs had some protection to prevent unwanted distribution to those who do not contribute

i have few more programs which i would like to share here but only if goes out. to members only not to the whole world.

tia

[%sig%]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2