pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: How-to chip a PM6
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:00 am 

I've got an 1989 civic Si. It has a D16. Since the motor in my GTX took a crap I've got a spare turbo, IC and assorted stuff laying around. I'm thinking of ghetto turboing the civic. Cheap engine management is a problem.

I'm assuming from what I've read that it's got a PM6 ECU in it. Haven't pulled the ECU yet, but does anyone know of a detailed how-to for chipping this ECU? I presume that I can extend the range of the MAP (replace with a GM 1 BAR sensor) so the ECU will happily fuel 5 PSI of boost provided the injectors are up to it.

-Michael

Post subject: Re: How-to chip a PM6
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:22 am 
Senior Developer

you really need to use the search feature and read the FAQ. totally inexcusable. This thread scheduled for deletion 5/30/03 10:30am

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:53 am 

Search: * POOF * Internal Server Error

FYI, the info I've quoted came from the FAQ. Alas, let me be more specific...

Assuming it is indeed a PM6 how do I tell which year it came from? This car has been rewired crashed, smashed and rebuilt before I got it too many times to count. It's a D16Z6 with a Del Sol head and unknown innards (pistons are rumoured to be from some JDM engine but the previous owner didn't know). Runs OK with the ECU it has...

Did the BIN file change from 1989 to 1990? Presumably since the 90-91 used an external EPROM there were changes made. Is the wiring the same or did some of these assumed changes involve addition or deletion of sensors?

I have read that the 1989 had an internal ROM but I know 2 people who claim to have chipped 1989 ECUs.

-Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:52 am 
Senior Developer

hmmm... internal server error. Must fix that :)

I'm grumpy in the morning - can you tell?

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:55 am 
Senior Developer

i could search just fine.

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:17 pm 
If you haven't read this, then do so:

http://www2.pgmfi.org/resources/article ... ics_12-02/

It's kind of hidden on the site...article by Blundar on exactly what you're asking, a detailed step-by-step how-to on chipping a PM6. After reading just this article I chipped my first ECU, answered all my questions.

The program for a 88-89 ECU is indeed different than that of 90-91, although I'm not sure exactly what changed. Some ECU's have a date marker on the side of them that say "89" but that was the manufacture year...they went into '90 cars, and thus had the external ROM. Easiest way to know for sure is to open the box and look to see if it's there, rather than try to guess about it...there are some oddballs, so it's not a hard and fast rule, but generally ECU's that came from the 90-91 CRX/Civic si had an external ROM, and is therefore easily chippable.

Read that article, and I hope this info helped. -Z

P.S - Search works for me too...

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:14 pm 
PGMFI Elf

Yeah, it's pretty hidden. You have to choose not to click on it when you enter the site.

Humor me and try to google up "how to chip PM6"

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:42 pm 

Guys, I have no problem reading docs. I also did read all of the docs on the site. I did ask about the 89 v. 90-91 thing because it conflicted with what others were telling me.

Based on the year, if my ECU is original then it has no external EPROM. From what I've read someone did hack an atmel chip to replace the existing CPU, but I'd rather stay with the common setups being used.

This being the case I'll need to buy an ECU that can be chipped. Smart solution anyway since I do occasionally need to drive the car places. PM6 is great, but it seems to be impossible to determine what an ECU is without cracking it open and looking at the chips.

-Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:38 pm 
Cool...you just have to appreciate that this project has gotten a lot of attention lately, especially with the recent release of boost support. Lots of newbies, and people just get sick of answering the same questions over and over...

It is indeed a good idea to purchase another ECU to play around with in case you screw it up...I had a situation where my ROM burner broke, but I only realized that after I had partially written over the chip I was using to run the car, with no backup available...since I had to get another burner from Germany, if I didn't have a spare ECU I would have been without my rex for two weeks...lesson learned, always have a backup in case it breaks.

Just bring a screwdriver with you when you go pick up the ECU and crack the case open before you buy...I would stay away from Ebay (prices are usually inflated anyway) because you can't tell for sure...local junkyards are the way to go, or check the classifieds section of this forum. Good luck! -Z

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:31 pm 

It wasn't until I actually downloaded a newer copy of ghettodyne that I even realised that there was boost support. I was going to replace the MAP sensor and fiddle the tables for the new MAP signals.

I just located a PM6 from a 1990 4dr and I believe it's got a 1.6 in it. (Looked like my SOHC D16). So once the guy decides what he wants for it I may have a box to work with.

First step (payday) will be to pick up another L1H1 and finish building this WBO2 kit so I can figure out what the AFRs actually are... Then find out which talon injectors I need and go from there.

Once all the sheit is running I'd like to spend some time with the ECU code and see what other interesting things I can do with it. Let's not talk about my rusty assembly skills...

-Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:08 pm 
Senior Developer

fyi, 90-99 Eclipse, talon TURBO injectors are 450cc and you can easily pick up a set for <$100 (most of the time closer to $50) from http://www.dsm.org

[%sig%]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]