pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:16 am 
Hi,

I am almost finished my JDM B16A2 and am looking to modify the ECU to work with ECUControl. The ECU is a P30 930. :?

We will be adding a serial port.

According to information here and on the ECUControl web ...

"R54 should be filled with a 1k to 1.2k resistor(the exact value does not matter). C51 and C52 are 0.1µf ceramic disc capacitors(12V or better will work fine). "

This ECU is different to the P28 pictured and both myself and my assistance (trained electronics guy) cannot find R54, C51 and C52 anywhere on this ECU. :cry:

I have attached a photo of the inside of this ECU. It has a daughter board attached via ribbon cable.

I would appreciate some assistance here. :wink:

Peter

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:42 am 
Here's another pic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:23 am 

On the USDM ECU's the area is located in the area under the daugher board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:25 am 

I thought LEGO781 and Katman had discussed this a week ago in Newbies or OBD1 section. Please utilize search features!! Look for CHipping JDM Computers as you have a JDM ECU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:58 pm 
Quote:
On the USDM ECU's the area is located in the area under the daugher board.

Indeed. Removing the daughter board reveals the area where the socket and surface mount MC74HC373 go but no contact points R54, C51 or C52. I cannot locate these anywhere on this ECU.

So my question is: where are they? and if they are missing, is there an alternative contact point, as described on the ECUControl website?

Does anyone have any experience with this P30 revision 930? It is JDM but it can't be an isolated unit.

Quote:
I thought LEGO781 and Katman had discussed this a week ago in Newbies or OBD1 section. Please utilize search features!! Look for CHipping JDM Computers as you have a JDM ECU

I have searched for a couple of days now without success. I also took your advice and did a search on the posters. Not much luck.

When you say these two posters discussed "this topic" are you referring to chipping a JDM generally or specifically my original question regarding this P30 930 ECU?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Take a pic of your ECU with daughterboard removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:48 pm 
PGMFI Elf

You're looking for C49, C50, C92, and J1 on the back side... You can find the values and everything for these by searching... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:40 pm 
Quote:
Take a pic of your ECU with daughterboard removed.

See image attached with my annotation (sorry, I'm new to Electronics).

Quote:
You're looking for C49, C50, C92, and J1 on the back side

Thanks Smooth1, I appreciate that info.

I'll have a look when I get home tonight.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:55 pm 
So I see that there are two schools of thought here.

One says that it is not necessary to add the caps at C49, C50, C91 and C92 as the mods will work without them. These caps simply eliminate power noise.

The other (SPOON, MUGEN examples) uses them.

I like the idea of a ZIF socket instead of an ordinary plug socket. That should make swaps much easier. I'll have to see if the ZIF fits under the daughter board when it is installed. I saw one example where this was installed in a plastic case outside the ECU case.

Another nifty idea is using a jumper block for J1, instead of just a wire. That would make returning to standard much easier.

The cap values are:

C49 & C50 --> .004UF
C91 & C92 --> .00001UF.

Three points (C49, C50 and C92) and J1 are found on the underside of the main board (see attached pic). C91 is alongside the ROM socket and surface mount 74HC373.

I've also found a couple of ROMs I'm eager to try.

Thanks again for your help,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:34 pm 
Update on this P30 390 project...

Thanks to assistance from this board and the wider ECU community we have completed the first stage of this project:

1. Placed Socket on main board
2. Placed 74HC373 on main board (surface mount)

This proved a little bit tricky as the original 373s we ordered were too small. We ended up using a 12mm x 5mm approx package and just slightly bent the legs to fit.

3. Placed three caps on the underside of the main board at C49, C50 and C92. We didn't place one at C91 according to earlier advice, and knowing that these caps simply act as noise filters.

To do:

1. Currently the ECU is dismantled for shaping the opening for the serial port connection. The serial port circuit is currently being constructed.

2. We have decided to place an external switch to allow the J1 jumper to be turned on or off rather than just cutting a wire (and having to join later). Due to J1 being a pad rather than a hole we could not go with our original plan to intall a computer-style jumper.

3. Burn some ROMs and test the unit. This will happen over the Christmas break as we have just about completed the engine build up. We are toying with the idea of doing some basic porting but this depends on whether my Christmas request (for a DREMEL) is fulfilled.

We will post some photos in the next day or so.

Once again, thanks to everyone who assisted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:16 pm 
OK. Here are some photos of the install so far.

The ROM socket and 74HC373 are installed. The three caps on the underside are on and we have placed the serial port connection on the side panel.

We went with a switch for the J1 jumper. You'll notice we used a special "pull and switch" toggle. This is to prevent the any accidental switching.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Today we will add the wiring for the J1 switch and prepare the serial port circuit board to connect to the DB9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:19 pm 
Here are the three caps attached to the underside of the main board at C49, C50 and C92.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:24 pm 
The next three photos are of the serial port and J1 toggle. The toggle is spring loaded and requires a pull and switch action to raise it over the "latch" and into its "other" position.

We will label the switch in either the "STOCK" or "MOD" position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:25 pm 
Another view of the serial port and J1 switch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:28 pm 
Final rear view

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next