pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PT3 question!
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:33 pm 

I have a PT3 ECU and I know it can be chipped. I want to put a H23A VTEC in the car.
My question is:
Would a chipped PT3 ECU run a VTEC engine or not? If not, can it be converted to VTEC with OBD-I VTEC conversion kit or something else? And, what ROM should be burned into the chip?

Post subject: Re: PT3 question!
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:50 am 

enzoferrari wrote:
I have a PT3 ECU and I know it can be chipped.

Yes, but there is little support so most of the work has to be done by hand.
Quote:
I want to put a H23A VTEC in the car.

okay
Quote:
Would a chipped PT3 ECU run a VTEC engine or not?

I see no reason you can't use one of the outputs to control VTEC, if you do the work to provide PT3 support. Plus I am sure others would pay for your creation.
Quote:
And, what ROM should be burned into the chip?

probably one that works. Again, you will have to build the rom.

The easiest way to go about this would be to use a civic/integra ecu as they actually have support and rom editors that allow an easy user friendly interface. Yes, the PT3 can be chipped, put it is not for the faint of heart. If you wish to use your ecu for this I suggest studying up on hex, dis-assembly, assembly, and coding. I feel the project would be more self rewarding if you learn how to reuse the PT3, but I caution you of the difficulty without the proper skill set. There is much to be learned here but for your own sake, do some reading in the library before embarking.http://twiki.pgmfi.org/bin/view.pl/Library/WebHome

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:22 am 

I've read most of the library before and I'm skilled in electronic enough to be able to do the work. In a Civic/Integra ecu, there is a MOSFET switch (SK5151 if I'm correct) which supplies the power for the VTEC solenoid which is located at IC14. I opened the PT3 last day and found that IC14 is used for a different type of component and couldn't find the same switch or the same space to solder it. So, I'm not sure that this ECU is VTEC compatible or convertible. Anyone can help me about this?

I know that a Civic/Integra OBD-I chipped ecu is the easiest way to go, but I don't want to go for that, until I make sure that PT3 is not VTEC compatible or convertible and I HAVE to supply another ECU.

The inside image of my PT3 is attached.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:05 pm 

Using IC14 as an example, the lication ids dont generally cross betwen ecu families. IC14 in a civic ecu will be differnt than IC14 in a crv, in aa accord, in a prelude, and so on. You will likely have to find an unused mosfet option and add the nesessary components to make it work, then tell mcu what to do with. Option two would be to repurpose a mosfet output and tell the mcu its new instruction set for that output. Much can be done with many ecus, but I feel you have to pioneer most of it. I wish I could give you better help, but like I said, this ecu has not seen much exploration.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:44 am 

Thanks for your input. If the pin used for the VTEC solenoid is the same in all Civic/Integra/Accord/etc OBD-I ECU's, I can find the original location reserved for operating VTEC MOSFET switch by routing the pin into the board. how do you think?