pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:13 pm 

Hi, i am looking for honda ecu to suit my needs. I want the ecu to have launch control, and to handle 2 vtec solenoids and boost ... i want to try to fit honda ecu to my nissan with neovvl head from primera p11 with 2 independant solenoids (on/off type from rpm to rpm)... so if you have any suggestions, please help. I think i can use the idle control valve for the secont vvt solenoid, but i am not sure ... also, what trigger is using the honda? i dont think its a big problem to use honda ecu for this ... but i want to know whats the best combo ecu with rom for turbo setup like this. also whats the suggested rom tables resolution for timing and fuel tables. i hope you can help me ... thanks.

Knock detection is not needed, but its good plus i think.

Also, any chance to have COP setup? i have 4 coils from cr1000 prepared for my car ... and i want to use them. I want to change my megasquirt with more reliable ecu like honda one ... please help ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 pm 

Megasquirt is more reliable than a Honda ECU on a Nissan. Knock frequency varies with displacement, the P30 might work with the SR16 but it's useless on boosted engines anyway. To control 2 solenoids you can use outputs A4 VTS and A17 IAB on a P72 ECU, or A4 VTS and A20 PCS on a P30 or P28 ECU. COP can be done through Hondata or Neptune ROM editing. I can't guarantee the crank angle sensors will read correctly though.
But again, this is still not more reliable than Megasquirt. It's a hack.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:09 am 

i can disable the knock control, its not a problem, if you think it will not work on 2.2l stroked engine, i can buy p72 ecu and wire it in. the crank sensor ... its just toothed wheel like megasquirt one ... why not read accurate? and with honda ecu, i will have cam angle syncronization too ... i like the qide maps honda have, and as i will use vvl head, i think the vtec specific honda maps will suit my needs better than megasquirt maps ... the rom will be p72 for sure, but is there any difference between the p28/p30 and p72 ecus? i think if i am going to use p72 code its better to buy the p72 ecu, but i see they put this code into p28 and p30 too ... i dont think it will not be reliable as ecu ... and also in crome i sow you can change engine displacement and injector sizes, it also can be done with hondata, but i dont concider buying one for now. I found few projects using honda ecus and the one with ectune is very happy with his car. I think honda ecus can handle vtecs better than megasquirt ... they are designed to do that. I am running custom ms3 smd board in the nissan ecu case with ms2 processor with success ... but with the old det head ... but every tuner i go to, says megasquirt is not enough reliable and stable ... so i decided to make some changes, and use honda ecu.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 am 
PGMFI Elf

nismotronic.com has a Nissan ECU solution.

NepTune for Hondas has multiple sets of maps you can use to tune various stages, boost control, and other useful features. HRTuning.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:54 pm 

I would STRONGLY advise against Crome if your mind is totally made up about using a Honda ECU, Neptune is definitely your most stable option.
The P72 can run P30 code, but if you're running Crome you will NOT succeed without using a gold base, and unless you're very familiar with it, there's a good chance you will not succeed at all. With that engine, knock must be disabled on any Honda ecu.
I've tuned quite a few Megasquirt engines, unless you're using a really old version there's nothing unreliable about it. Processing is responsive, and if your scales are correct, the output stays pretty consistent. With built-in COP and peak & hold injector support, why even bother with a Honda ECU?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:09 pm 

its just research that i am making ... i use megasquirt 3 smd board with ms2 processor and ms2extra code and its fine, but i liked the honda tables resolution, and the fact honda ecu have 2 fuel and 2 ignition tables for high and low cam lobes ... ms dont have such thing ;) the honda ecu in theory have all things i use from the megasquirt ... but in factory stable ecu ... and maybe some more ... i sow neptune, ectune ... i will do some more research before i decide ... i never have problems with my ecu, but i really think the factory honda ecu is more reliable than megasquirt ... if i was honda owner(i was before 4-5 years) ... i cant find reason to change the oem honda ecu to megasquirt ... and thats why i was thinking that honda ecu will be good option for my nissan. I didnt knew i will find so many people against honda ecu in honda ecu forum :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:00 pm 
PGMFI Elf

Nobody is against it. They mention you can take either route and be perfectly stable. I have not heard many complaints about MegaSquirt either. I figure you'll do the research and choose what you think will work best for your setup.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 pm 

I have done it many times.... Nishonda :) Works perfectly.