pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: iacv noise help plz!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:54 pm 

Hi, i have a problem with iacv valve, it's D16 engine, P06 chipped converted to vtec, 1720 board, ok, ive check everything already, resolder everything, including checked chips according this article :

http://qcwo.com/technicaldomain/trouble ... ent-117953

and everything is ok, when i cut j1, solid cel and iacv noise dissapear, when i jump j1, solid cel and iacv noice appear, i really dont know what more to check, any help will be appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: iacv noise help plz!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05 pm 

Are you jumping the service connector to get the CEL to flash a code? When you jump the SCS properly the CEL shouldn't come on when you turn the key until it starts to blink.

If you get a solid cel with J1 removed, it's most likely a bad ECU, and in my experience that's most likely what it is. However a bad/low battery, bad fuse, or bad main relay can also cause a solid cel and can cause the IACV to make noise. Check and replace all of them.

If the ECU allows you to datalog, that should have been your first step. if it says the CEL is on, check the code. check voltage levels, adjust IACV duty cycle and listen for idle changes or noises, disable IACV, disable IAT, disable all sensors/ debug mode.

Disconnect the IACV, it should idle at ~500rpm. If it doesn't, something else is wrong. Be sure all vacuum and engine systems are installed properly.

Try the chip in a different ECU, or try a stock known working ECU.
Make sure the IACV and IAT plugs aren't switched, and check continuity/resistance for each wire back to the ECU pins.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:34 am 

Hi mate! thanks for your reply.

When i remove J1, solid cel is off and everything is normal, so problem is with anything on the parts added to ecu, checked everything according to that article and looks like everything is ok! that's my concern, there is something wrong, yes but too dificult to detect, i was thinking about to replace 74HC373 chip but i dont know how it would affect to the actual problem i have including iac valve buzzing..

i tried chips, ostrich with new batteries, many maps i made myself and some i make ago long time that i know they works and nothing.. i checked too iacv and iat are wired correctly, what i said, with j1 removed ecu is as stock, not cel, iacv not sounds.. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:33 pm 

then you have a soldering problem. unless you're putting the chip in backwards. I highly doubt the 373 is bad, usually it's a soldering issue. Sometimes traces can break/burn off right at the via and be hard to spot with the naked eye, so check continuity on all 373 and DIP traces from one end of a node to the other, then general troubleshooting suggests the 373 is your problem. If you're not able to detect the break, find a local TV or circuit repair shop to help.
Or it might just save you time to start with a new ECU and have someone professionally socket it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:40 pm 

Hi again, that's problem, i check chips according this manual:

http://qcwo.com/technicaldomain/trouble ... ent-117953

and everything is good!!!

already resoldered..this is a very weird problem..finally i will desolder everything and solder everything again..

how a local tv repair can to know about ecu? or you means he will knows how to check parts i installed?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:41 pm 

it can still be a main relay or power issue. nonetheless, it sounds like one of the components you installed might be bad, so start replacing things until it works.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:47 pm 

yes, that's i will do, today visted 3 tv repair shops , nobody knew about that. wasted of time.

i hope to receive my engine simulator this week because it's a pain to go to local everything i replace something of ecu and test it..

i hope to fix problem soon.

main relay works good, as i said, i tested with p28 ecu and runs fine, any cel, i cut j1 of this p06, didnt start but any cel and main relay works good. i'd like to understand how ecu works, i means how affect every components when i solder in the ecu.

Thanks for your help , appreciate it a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:29 pm 

there are two ways to learn how an ecu works. pick up an electrical engineering book, or go to school for it. there is no easy way to learn electronics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:25 pm 

Hi, well, it looks like latest chipping kit come with something wrong, mayb 373, i have a guy helping me to fix this ecus.

Thanks anyway.