pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:22 pm 
I have searched and read all the faqs, I am trying to learn about the ghettodyne setup, please excuse my questions if they seem dumb or retarded. What I dont understand is what the USB port is connected to on the ECU, the eprom? When you "brun new chips" you can just connect your PC to the ECU via USB wire then rewrite the chip and then save the settings, or do you have to solder in a new chip everytime you change your tunning, (you brun the chip externally then solder it in) As for the checksum, this actually goes over your timming maps to make sure that the car will start? Also, when it comes to datalogging, how far back can you view the fuel, ig. timmin, maps? How large is the 1.5 version, wondering if i need a zip to hold it,

thanks for you help

Justin

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:16 pm 
http://www.ecucontrol.com/how_to_mod_my_ecu.htm
You need to build a USB or serial interface as the UCU outputs TTL signals.

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:18 pm 
Note the new TLA (three letter acronym) UCU this is short for yoUr ECU???
Ha Ha

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:19 pm 
Thanks, anyone else on these basic questions?

Blaze

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:47 am 
First, the USB connection, or RS232 serial, depending on which way you go, connects to the ECU board, but if you trace it back it is directly connected to the PROM. So that means both of your answers are right, but for all intents and purposes it is connected to the ECU board.

Second, you BURN a chip, not brun. Brun was something that Apple used back in the 2E/2C days to distinguish between running an Applesoft or Integer BASIC program (run) and running a binary program (brun).

Third, you cannot burn a chip by connecting your computer to the ECU (yet). You have to have a 28 pin EPROM burner. You burn the chip with that and then insert it into the ECU.

Fourth, think of the EPROM as the floppy disk for your ECU. It holds the code that the ECU executes. When you want a new program you insert a new "floppy disk" or in our case EPROM. When you de-solder the original 28 pin PROM chip you solder in a 28 pin DIP socket that allows you to insert and remove 28 pin EPROM's without having to solder/de-solder.

Fifth, the checksum is an oldskool way of verifying whether or not the PROM chip has integrity, or isn't currupt. It basically uses a mathematical formula and goes through all of the binary code to arrive at a pre-determined value. IF it doesn't match what it is suppose to match (zero) then it assumes that the PROM is currupt and defaults to a baseline "limp" program stored on a different chip (NEC). When you change ANY value in the code it whacks this value out, so you compensate for this by adding an additional byte somewhere in an unused area of ROM. GhettoDyne does this for you automagically. But to answer your question, it is not simply related to the ignition/fuel maps, but the ENTIRE PROM.

Sixth, GhettoDyne v1.5 is 377k already zipped for your convienence.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:25 am 
xtensive your a machine!

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:14 pm 
Senior Developer

this will be added to the knowledgebase.

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:24 pm 
excellant thank you all for your help, as for brun I ment burn lol. thanks again

Justin

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:22 pm 
Ok, wasn't sure...you used it more than once :-) Brought me back to the Apple Basic days...I miss loadrunner, heheh.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:00 am 
wow, I haven't though about applesoft in _ages_...

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:48 am 
Loadrunner was an AWESOME game, you could download a NES emulator and the rom for loadrunner and play it all day : )

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:53 pm 
PGMFI Elf

Loderunner was alright. Having a C64, there were much better games than the poor retarded Apple II kids got. >:)

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 11:05 pm 
Dude, you OBVIOUSLY never played Oregon trail...C64 could never hang with that.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 11:51 pm 
:-D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:36 pm 
PGMFI Elf

Oregon Trail sucked goat wang.

You obviously never played Karateka, Below the Root, Beach Head 2, Questor, or had SAM the speech emulation program. Not that an Apple could support the graphics required, much less come installed with a SID chip for speech-quality audio.

[%sig%]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next