pgmfi.org

Hacking up Honda's ECU
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:04 am 
Good question, haven't tried the included/unchanged one that comes with GHD 1.6. I'll test it out tomorrow and pass on the results. -Z

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:05 pm 
Just tested the stock GhettoTune.bin included with GHD 1.6, and it also gives me a CEL after 45 sec. -Z

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:31 pm 
Damn. I must have screwed a routine up in the new version. Lemme look into it and see WTF I did :-(

Mike

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:09 pm 
Hey Zac, try this one out... *crosses fingers*

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:00 am 
Perfect...whatever you did worked, no CEL!!!

It's late, I'm going to punch in the PM7 maps (again ;) tomorrow, and I'll post the results. Can't wait!!! Thanks man, -Z

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:57 am 
Ok, so I lied...couldn't wait until tomorrow to play around with this. Plugged in the maps, car starts and idles fine. I took it for a quick test drive, and I noticed some significant hesitation at part throttle and the A/F gauge showed that I was running lean. I double checked the bin I made to make sure I didn't make any errors punching in the numbers, and I noticed that everything's exactly the same as my template PM7 map, except the fuel values in the first column (26 In Hg) are off by 0.01 digit less. I re-typed the 26 In Hg coumn and saved, re-opened the bin and they're still off, looks like something in the checksum calucation is changing the values when I save...so I tried bumping up the duration by 0.01, and when I try to save the file, GHD returns an error, "Run-time error "6" Overflow".

Is it normal for GHD to be changing the fuel tables as described? I've attached the two bins, the original PM7 (PM7ZCORG69.bin and the GHD bin (ZCGHD1.6.bin) for review.

Getting closer :) -Z

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:26 am 
The values you see changing have nothing to do with checksum. It's a rounding error that will occur, and it's not a big deal.

The difference of .01 in the values won't cause the hesitation, it has to be something else. Have you checked the ignition curve?

The run time 6 is a bug somewhere in GhD code.....

[%sig%]

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:09 am 
GhD will often bump for 0.01 but the real VALUES are not 0.01 more..

I opened GhD bin with other editor and the values looked ok.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:41 am 
Yeah, it's just a round display "feature". As for the run time 6, I was just lazy and didn't put in enought error trapping. There is a lot of error handling already, but you can never under estimate what someone will try and do with your program!

Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:17 pm 
Well, I figured out what the problem was...

I feel pretty stupid now, but I know that GHD is a PM6 editor, didn't even consider that it might not interpret PM7 rom values properly. I've been using GHD 1.3 to view this PM7 map, and I have always been curious as to why there were two distinct jumps in the gradually increasing fuel map, at 18 In Hg, and 8 In Hg...for example,

500 RPM
26 In Hg = 1.68
24 In Hg = 1.98
22 In Hg = 2.27
21 In Hg = 2.81
19 In Hg = 3.42
18 In Hg = 6.88 <<
16 In Hg = 4.54
14 In Hg = 5.15
13 In Hg = 5.69
11 In Hg = 6.27
9 In Hg = 6.81
8 In Hg = 4.27 <<
1 In Hg = 9.46
1.3 Psi = 10.92

I thought it was odd, but never questioned it ("Those Honda engineers must have known what they were doing"), and today I had a moment of clarity..."Those values aren't right!!!" I used the other OBD0 editor instead of GHd 1.3 to view the PM7 bin, and sure enough, I get different (better) numbers for those columns. Plugged them in and fired up the CRX, and bada-bing, it works fine.

xtensive/Mike, thanks for all the patience and spending your time troubleshooting this with me, and thanks to everyone else for helping a newbie out...I truly appreciate it. -Z

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:16 pm 
Glad you got it worked out! Question(s) for you...I'm trying to make GhD more flexible so any info helps. Did you import the PM7 maps in a hex editor from a PM7 streight to the GhettoTune and then open it with GhD, or how did you get the PM7 maps into GhettoTune?

I need to figure out if the math for PM7 fuel maps is different, or if GhD is just interpreting them wrong. Thanks!

Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:40 am 
The way I was doing it originally was to have two instances of GHD open at the same time, viewing the PM7 rom with GHD 1.03, and making changes to Ghettotune.bin with GHD 1.6. All the data entry was done manually, just punching in the numbers from the PM7 rom into the ghettotune.bin. Someone (Carsten Schmidt) posted a simple OBD0 editor a few weeks ago, and it supports PM7 roms...so I used it instead of GHD 1.03 to view the PM7 bin, which lead to my discovery.

As far as I can tell, the only errors in GHD's calculation is in the two fuel columns listed in my last post...all other data is correct, so I suspect you've got the formula right, but maybe those columns are in a different location (offset? Still learning this shit ;) in the PM7 roms than the PM6 ones. I dunno...either way, he's probably the one to ask, cause it looks like he's already got the answers you're looking for.

One great idea that he implemented in his editor is the ability to export/import maps, which makes setting up your base tune SO much easier...I could see how this wouldn't be a big deal for someone running a D16a6 with a PM6 ECU (nothing to be done but tweak the stock rom), but in my case (and others like me) where I've swapped engines, it's a huge advantage, b/c instead of having to manually type in all the entries, you can instead open your template, export the settings to a file, open your GHD bin, import the settings, and you're done. I imagine that it wouldn't be that hard to do programatically, but hey, I'm not a developer, I just play one on TV.

Hope that helps a little, sorry I can't offer more insight. If I can help in any other way (beta testing, etc...) let me know. I'm more than happy to contribute where I can. -Z

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:42 am 
The way I was doing it originally was to have two instances of GHD open at the same time, viewing the PM7 rom with GHD 1.03, and making changes to Ghettotune.bin with GHD 1.6. All the data entry was done manually, just punching in the numbers from the PM7 rom into the ghettotune.bin. Someone (Carsten Schmidt) posted a simple OBD0 editor a few weeks ago, and it supports PM7 roms...so I used it instead of GHD 1.03 to view the PM7 bin, which lead to my discovery.

As far as I can tell, the only errors in GHD's calculation is in the two fuel columns listed in my last post...all other data is correct, so I suspect you've got the formula right, but maybe those columns are in a different location (offset? Still learning this shit ;) in the PM7 roms than the PM6 ones. I dunno...either way, he's probably the one to ask, cause it looks like he's already got the answers you're looking for.

One great idea that he implemented in his editor is the ability to export/import maps, which makes setting up your base tune SO much easier...I could see how this wouldn't be a big deal for someone running a D16a6 with a PM6 ECU (nothing to be done but tweak the stock rom), but in my case (and others like me) where I've swapped engines, it's a huge advantage, b/c instead of having to manually type in all the entries, you can instead open your template, export the settings to a file, open your GHD bin, import the settings, and you're done. I imagine that it wouldn't be that hard to do programatically, but hey, I'm not a developer, I just play one on TV.

Hope that helps a little, sorry I can't offer more insight. If I can help in any other way (beta testing, etc...) let me know. I'm more than happy to contribute where I can. -Z

P.S - I've attached a copy of the editor I referenced, as well as my completed GHD 1.6 bin, complete with PM7 fuel and timing maps in case you're curious. -Z

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:09 am 
Whoops...double post. My bad. -Z

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:42 am 
There is no difference between PM6 and PM7 regarding fuel maths.
The only difference is the adresses.
I use the same routine to handle both PM6 and PM7 in OBD0 Edit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next